Do women have testosterone? The vast majority of people think women don’t produce testosterone (T hormone) and believe it is peculiar only to men. Actually, the female body synthesizes this hormone and HGH too, just in lower amounts. Unfortunately, T hormone’s presence in ladies is a reason for some negative side effects, in particular, the deterioration of reproductive performance (fertility). There are numerous causative factors which can increase and decrease the rate of testosterone. Let’s outline them.
Female Testosterone Levels — How Does the Hormone Function in the Body?
The ovary and adrenal cortex are responsible for testosterone “fabrication” in females. This hormone has a direct impact on the development of pregnancy; it is involved in the follicle maturation process and performs other significant functions. It contributes to the proper work of bone marrow and influences sexual attractiveness and mental outlook. A decreased amount causes undesired consequences namely rapid ageing and a worsening resistance to stress.
Here is a more detailed description of what T is responsible for in the female body:
- The hormone helps to develop follicles in the ovaries. The increased level of testosterone during ovulation creates feelings of sexual desire.
- Testosterone plays an important role in the creation and growth of bone structure during adolescence. The hormone maintains the strength of the bone during the menopause. Deterioration of the hormone balance can lead to different diseases, such as osteoporosis.
- It helps to form the muscles of the body in accordance with gender. Even if a woman eats a lot of protein and works hard in the gym, she will still not develop a lot of muscles hence why female bodybuilders use steroids to build muscle mass.
- Formation, deposition and metabolism of many hormones involved in the process of human reproduction, occur in tissue fat. Here is where testosterone is converted into estrogen, a female hormone. Male hormone deficiency can provoke abdominal obesity and excessive fat deposition at the waist.
- Testosterone also helps to get rid of unconscious anxiety, fear and depression. Scientists have revealed that women with high testosterone levels have elevated thought processes and higher memory indicators than girls with lower rates. However, increasing this hormone makes the fairer sex, masculine, aggressive, self-confident and overly persistent. She strives for supremacy in relationships and career advancement. She may become addicted to nicotine, narcotics and gambling. In patients with low T, such inclinations are usually absent.
Total and Free Testosterone in Women
There are 2 types of this hormone:
- Free testosterone, involved in sexual formation during adolescence and very important for the development of mammary glands. This type of hormone is not connected with a protein. Free levels are primarily checked during analyzes to control the endocrine profile.
- Total testosterone comprises free testosterone and protein bound testosterone. Its sufficiency rate is approximately 2%.
A natural decrease in testosterone is associated with female maturity. Its proportion can fluctuate during the day, for instance, normal testosterone levels are commonly observed before noon which is why it is preferable to take tests in the morning. In the evening. the hormone level reduces. It also goes down after menopause but in contrast, pregnancy heightens its emission because the foetus also produces it.
Normal Level of Testosterone Females — Age-Related Table
The measurement for free testosterone is pg/ml and its rate varies with age. Here is the chart of age-specific levels of the hormone in women.
Average levels of testosterone in ladies:
|Age||Normal testosterone levels in women, pg/ml|
Total testosterone level indicates the whole amount of the hormone in the blood, regardless of its relationship with protein. The proper value, which is appropriate for women of any age, should be from 0.26 to 1.3 ng/ml.
When determining testosterone levels, specialists pay attention to the protocols of the establishment (laboratory, etc.) where the analysis is submitted, since different clinics can endorse varying reference values due to the specific reagents used.
If you are not sure of the accuracy or reliability of results received at a particular clinic or laboratories, repeat the procedure somewhere else.
Causes and Symptoms of Low Testosterone Rate in Women
Hormonal levels significantly depend on the time of day, mood and menstruation. That is why, the norm can vary. Huge deterioration of the normal index may indicate the following medical conditions:
- breast disorders;
- cardiovascular system disfunctions;
- pancreatic diabetes;
- low libido;
- endometrium inflammatory response;
- problems with ovaries.
Additionally, excess weight or obesity, constant alcohol consumption, nicotine addiction, and permanently high stress levels can trigger a hormone deficit. Remember, that some products, namely fast and junk food, promotes testosterone reduction.
It is difficult to track the reducing concentration
lowering on one’s own; it lasts not just days or weeks but months and even years.
The most obvious low testosterone symptoms are:
- the baseless appearance of excess fat on the lower abdomen, legs, arms, neck);
- increased skin dryness;
- brittle hair;
- low libido;
- continuous fatigue.
Often women ignore low testosterone signs, because they cannot be specifically identified. One of the main features, a testament to the problem, is discomfort during sex. The unpleasant sensation manifests because testosterone takes part in vaginal secretion (serving as a lubricant) formation. Consequently, hormone insufficiency prevents a woman from getting pleasure from sexual intercourse, which in turn drives her to visit the doctor.
Signs and Symptoms of High Testosterone in Women
Too high testosterone levels indicators can be visible with the naked eye. Take into consideration that these attributes, evidence of hormonal failure, are also often a harbinger of serious diseases.
If you notice any of them, see your healthcare specialist immediately to avoid a deterioration of the situation.
You should pay attention to the following symptoms:
- Hair over the upper lip becomes much stiffer and darker.
- Body hair gets thicker.
- Fat production is intensified, so you need to take a bath every day.
- Rashes appear on the skin of the face.
- The skin on the hands is dry and flabby.
- The voice turns coarser.
- Weight gain.
- The sexual appetite elevates.
In addition, distinctive symptoms may include menstruation disorder, a male-type body constitution, increased aggressiveness, voice hardening and clitoris enlargement. Long-lasting hyperandrogenism causes impaired ovarian function.
How to decrease elevated testosterone? Women should change their way of living and normalize weight. Drug therapy with Spironolactone may be prescribed.
Testosterone Tests — Preparation and Procedure
You don’t have to wait a long time for test results – they are usually ready within 24 hours.
To ensure the correctness of the test and for the most accurate results, certain conditions must be adhered to. It is better to conduct the examination between either days 3 and 5 or 8 and 10 of the menstrual cycle for the most reliable results.
Avoid excessive exertion, sport or sex for 24 hours before the test and do not drink or smoke.
Be candid with your doctor about any drugs you may be taking for treatment of chronic illnesses. Pay particular attention to anticonvulsants, anabolic steroids, valproic acid, and Clomid for sale, which directly influences testosterone levels.
T is equally important for both men and women. Don’t neglect any signs of its decline or other consequential deterioration. Make an appointment with a medical professional as soon as possible to preserve childbearing potential and other functions of the reproductive system. How to lower T? The doctor may prescribe special pills for women. Depending on the cause, they may include:
- Eflornithine (Vaniqa, Eflotism, Plenas, Cycladin), which decelerates the growth of new facial hair;
- Metformin (Amophage, Anglucid, Avandamet, Diagemet XL, Normaglyc, Forminal, Metex XR) for treatment of type II diabetes;
- progestin-based meds (like megestrol,norethindrone, levonorgestrel, medroxyprogesterone) that can regulate periods and enhance fertility;
- Spironolactone (Spirix, Spirinolakton, Spirobeta, Aldactone, Spilactone Sankei, Spilazide, Youlactone, Spilak), a diuretic that modulates fluid and salt rates and decreases superfluous hair growth;
- glucocorticoids (glucocorticoid therapy lowers serum T in some hirsute women).
Testosterone Steroids and Their Side Effects
Overdosing on hormonal drugs, in particular, testosterone derivatives and such preparations as Boldenone, Oxandrolone, and Winstrol, can induce hypersexuality. Women may experience clitoromegaly (enlargement of the outer part of the clitoris).
Long-term use of medications of steroid origin can also cause other adverse events: acne, seborrhea, and others. In addition, other meds, which are in high demand in the sports industry (such as Clenbuterol for sale) can also cause negative consequences.
This is important: the secondary male sexual signs that manifest in women as a result of the use of anabolic steroids in sports, are irreversible. The pointers surrounding the reduction of testosterone are ineffective in such cases. It is better to use natural supplements for women than buy steroids online, thereby exposing your precious health to grave and very serious risks.