Testosterone is a hormone that is associated with large muscles, strength and sexual drive. It’s no wonder that raising this male hormone is an eternal topic in the world of fitness and bodybuilding. In this article, we will figure out what natural ways to boost testosterone may be used at home.
Causes of low testosterone
There are a number of factors that can cause low testosterone production. Among them are:
- Chronic lack of calories (less than 20% of the basal metabolic rate).
- Chronic overeating, which leads to an excess weight.
- Unbalanced nutrition with a deficiency of vitamins and minerals.
- Low fat intake.
- Depression, stress.
- Treatment with different meds such as legal steroids (corticosteroids).
- Low sexual activity.
- Obesity and other metabolic disorders.
- Excessive use of hormonal contraceptives (in women).
- Frequent and/or prolonged using of anabolics (such as Nandrolone and Turinabol).
- Steroid cycles without post-cycle therapy using Clomid for men, Tamoxifen etc.
- Chronic diseases, infections.
- Lack of sleep, sleep apnea (stopping breathing during sleep).
- Uncontrolled use of home remedies, such as “natural steroids“.
- Excess alcohol consumption.
Natural ways to boost testosterone – resistance training
Strength training is one of the main ways to raise the levels of testosterone. American professor William Kremer, in his article in the journal Sports Medicine, notes that training with weights causes a significant increase in testosterone and growth hormone within 30 minutes after training.
But what you should do to increase testosterone production? In 2010, Brad Schoenfeld presented a scientific paper titled “The mechanisms of muscle hypertrophy and their application for resistance training”, which was devoted to strength training and increasing of anabolic hormones, including testosterone.
Below is a list of some of the key points of his research:
- Exercises are mostly multi-joint (for example, deadlift, barbell press, and squats).
- The number of sets is at least 4.
- The range of reps is 6-12.
- Rest intervals between sets should last 60-90 seconds.
Natural ways to boost testosterone – proper nutrition and water intake
1. A small calorie surplus. According to sports experts, the first step to increase testosterone should be to ensure adequate calorie intake. Following a low-calorie diet can lead to a decrease in the activity of testosterone-catalyzing enzymes in the testes, as a result of which the production of the hormone will decrease. But do not overdo it, because with the fat gaining, the aromatase enzyme, which converts testosterone to estrogens, is activated.
2. Eat more meat. Studies show that all natural vegetarian/vegan diets lead to a decrease in testosterone production. In 1985, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published an article by American scientists who examined whether there was a hormonal relationship between diets of vegetarians and omnivores. As a result, experts found that in vegetarians testosterone levels were lower than those who consumed meat. Include in your diet dishes of poultry, pork, beef, and fish if you want to raise the level of the hormone.
3. Eat enough fat. Fats should consist up to 30% of calorie diet, but do not overdo with polyunsaturated fats, which are found in fatty fish, as well as in corn and sunflower oils. Focus on monounsaturated fats (olive and peanut butter, nuts, avocado) and saturated fats (red meat, egg yolks, dairy products). This advice on how to raise testosterone is supported by research. Experts from the University of Pennsylvania have tested how different dietary regimens affect testosterone levels in healthy men. It was found that diets with a high content of saturated and monounsaturated fats significantly increase the level of testosterone. In this case, diets with a high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids reduce the production of the hormone.
4. Add more vegetables to your meal plan. Eat more cruciferous vegetables: broccoli, Brussels, cabbage, kohlrabi, rocket salad, and daikon. They all contain the substance indole-3-carbinol, which reduces the production of estrogens and thus reduces their negative impact on testosterone levels. This fact was proved by scientists from the Institute of Hormonal Research in New York in 1991.
5. Drink a plenty of water. Back in 1985, a team of scientists from the University of California conducted a study that showed that dehydration significantly inhibits the release of testosterone after strength training, increases the concentration of cortisol, and worsens the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats.
How to increase testosterone – adequate intake of vitamins and minerals
Your diet should include not only an adequate amount of calories and nutrients but also a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals that can be called a kind of natural testosterone boosters. You need to make sure that you consume enough zinc, vitamin D and magnesium.
Zinc. Scientists say that a deficiency of zinc may inhibit the production of testosterone. Include meat dishes in your diet, this will meet your needs in zinc.
Vitamin D. Like zinc, vitamin D also takes part in regulating testosterone levels. Administration of this vitamin for one year can increase the level of the male hormone due to the effect on the work of the enzyme aromatase, which transforms testosterone into estrogens. Researchers say that if you spend most of the day indoors, you need vitamin D because food sources can provide a relatively low level of consumption of this vitamin. In 2012, Dr. Lonnie Lowry at the National Sport and Conditioning Association conference stressed that the lack of this element has a negative effect on testosterone levels. The scientist advised to additionally take vitamin D in the form of supps because the recommended daily intake of vitamin (600 IU) is almost impossible to obtain from food alone.
Magnesium. In 2009, French scientists proved that magnesium has the ability to increase the level of free testosterone by reducing the production of sex hormone binding globulin (SHGB). When SHGB decreases, the level of free testosterone increases.
How to boost testosterone naturally – sleep right, relax, and enjoy sex
Sleep. The main surge of male hormone production occurs during sleep, so it is very important to ensure a healthy sleep (7-9 hours a day). Brazilian scientists say that limiting sleep leads to a decrease in the level of circulating androgens in the blood, which indicates the biological significance of sleep for the regulation of homeostasis in the endocrine system. A study by scientists at the University of Chicago also showed that lack of sleep reduces the production of testosterone. In the course of the experiment, healthy young men slept less than 5 hours a day during the week. As a result, it was revealed that the level of hormone secretion in their bodies decreased by 10-15%.
Relaxation. To combat stress, it is necessary to use meditation and all kinds of relaxation techniques as natural therapy methods. A study by American scientists showed that regular meditation can reduce the secretion of the catabolic hormone cortisol and increase testosterone (as well as growth hormone).
Sex. It is the last tip on how to boost testosterone naturally. It turns out that sex does not lower the level of testosterone (as many suggest). Vice versa, sex increases hormone rates. In 1992, scientists from the University of Georgia investigated the sexual activity of 4 couples and found that on those nights when they had sex with both women and men, there was a rise in testosterone. In those evenings, when couples abstained from intimate relationships, the testosterone level was lower.
The bottom line on natural testosterone boosters and ways for increasing the hormone
Apply the tips on how to increase testosterone naturally in the complex, only so you can feel the effect, which will manifest itself in the form of a stronger, muscular and definite body. Give the muscles a regular exercise load, adjust your diet, providing your body with all the necessary vitamins and minerals. Do not forget to pay attention to rest and stress management. In addition, you can use proven home remedies. Due to this, you can increase testosterone, HGH and improve overall health.