If you are a woman, you definitely want a pumped and sexy butt (the gluteal muscles or the buttocks) like Jen Selter. Males also try to train the butt muscles in order to be more attractive. First and foremost, we should note that it will be not enough for you to eat properly for getting perfect buttocks. Resistance training also matters. In this article, we will tell you about the best butt workouts at home or gym for women and men. Let’s go!
Best Butt Workouts – Most Common Mistakes
To get a bigger butt, you need to work hard. But your hard work will be not enough if you train with mistakes. Here are the most common mistakes that people do when training the gluteal muscles.
1. Ignoring the very butt workout. In gyms, you can often see people who do not have a complete plan for the training process. They just come to try all the sports machines right away and at the same time think that the more, the better. For instance, some women persist in training their muscles with isolated exercises, such as extensions and curls. But for some reason they do not think about what do their legs, hips and buttocks really need to be perfect. So, you should have some knowledge of anatomy. Muscles of legs are divided into four main groups:
- Buttocks (large-, small-, and medium-sized gluteal muscles);
- Anterior hip (quadriceps femoris muscle: straight thigh muscle, inner wide muscle, outer broad muscle, medium broad muscle and sartorius muscle);
- Biceps femoris;
- Muscles of the lower leg (triceps muscles of the lower leg: calf, soleus, and plantar).
For the harmonious development of the lower body, it is necessary to train and strengthen all muscle groups in this area. An unbalanced approach to training the butt & leg muscles can lead to imbalance or weakening of certain muscle groups. This can contribute to the occurrence of negative changes in the body and increase the likelihood of injury during training, sports and other outdoor activities. Muscles of the legs & buttocks occupy a large percentage of all the muscles of any person, so you need to pay due attention to them. Therefore, you should have a leg / butt day in your workout routine.
2. Lack of basic exercises for the buttocks & legs. Perhaps, many people devote so much time to training their legs & butt, but basically this workout takes place with isolation exercises, which in turn does not bring you closer to the goal. According to the today-existing theoretical knowledge, physical exercises stimulate a reduction in the fat mass of the whole body, not of its individual parts (you might be interested in article about steroids that burn fat). Unfortunately, but you haven’t an opportunity to lose weight only in those places where you find it necessary. If you purposefully perform special exercises for the legs and buttocks, the muscles in this part of the body will strengthen and become more elastic. You can have strong buttocks, but no one will notice your beauty until you get rid of excess fat on your whole body. It is easier to achieve this result by including basic and isolation exercises in your workout routine. Of course, you should also adhere to a proper nutrition and use special supplements like Wild Yam for women and Tribulus Terrestris for men. Basic multi-joint exercises should be your main trump card in the fight against subcutaneous fat in problem areas. Such exercises are complex movements, which means that they work out entire muscle groups, even if you think that your focus is on a separate area. So, your task is to include in your training program basic exercises such as squat with a barbell, deadlifts, bench presses, pull-ups, etc. If you want to have tight legs and buttocks, you have to master them by yourself.
3. Wrong technique. Even if a person decides to include basic exercises in his or her training, that does not mean that he / she will do them properly. The most common mistakes are the inability to keep the back straight, the absence of a controlled trajectory of the knee joints and improper breathing during exercise. It’s bad, because correct and competent technique raises efficiency of your trainings and minimizes reception of various traumas. So it is recommended to order several personal training sessions: a gym coach will teach you the right technique of performing the butt exercises.
4. Too frequent butt workouts. If you do not have any experience in training, then perhaps you do not even suspect that tired muscles need three days to recover. If you train daily, not letting your muscles recover, they will never get the desired shape and tone. Moreover, in addition to a 3-day break between the training of a certain muscle group, it is advisable not to train the same muscle group more than once a week, except you are a beginner and do non-heavy workouts in split training routine. Giving the muscle a whole week to recover after a very intense workout, you will undoubtedly see the result very soon. It should be noted that the whole body of a human individual works as a single mechanism, and by training the leg / butt muscles, you load not only them, but also the accompanying muscles synergists and muscles antagonists that indirectly participate in the work on flexion and extension of the knee and hip joints (you might be interested in cortisone injection in knee). Do not be afraid to let the muscles to be relaxed during a relatively long period of time. Rest is not less important for the result than intensive workouts.
5. Absence of periodization of the training process. You should have a strict and precise training schedule. For example, you can plan your butt / leg day for Tuesday. As a result, you should train that group of muscles on Tuesdays, not on Mondays or Saturdays.
Exercises for Butt Workouts at Home
Your butt workout at home may be as follows:
- Basic Squat;
- Reverse Lunge + Kick;
- Side Squat + Calf Raise;
- Ski Squat + Reverse Lift;
- Curtsy Lunges + Outside Raise;
- Inside Leg Raises;
- Other Side;
- Reverse Leg Lifts;
- Other Side.
Using these exercises, you can achieve a bubble butt! Also, you can find 4 butt workouts by Victoria’s secret models on YouTube. By the way, you can perform a quick butt workout in 8 minutes.
Butt Workouts at the Gym – List of Exercises
Your butt workouts at the gym should include the following exercises:
- Deadlift. This butt lifting exercise works perfect, especially if performed properly. If you are a girl, take a pair of dumbbells using an overhand grip & and hold these dumbbells at the arm length in front of your thighs. Stand with hip (not shoulder) width apart, slightly bending your knees. Lower the torso until it is almost parallel to the floor. When performing this movement, you should keep the dumbbells as close to the body as possible. Make a short pause, then return to your initial position. The spine should be arched (but naturally) during the motion. Males can use a barbell instead of dumbbells. The principle of performing the exercise in this case is the same. Do 3 sets of 10 repetitions each. Do not forget about warm-up before executing the butt lifting.
- Step-Ups. Take 2 dumbbells and place your left or right foot on a supporting item (like a bench or a table). Without performing jerky movements, place your entire right foot onto the bench or chair. Return to the initial position by stepping down with the right foot, then the left one so both feet are on the floor. Do 3 sets of 10 repetitions each.
- Lunges. This is a good intense exercise that works out your butt. There are many types of lunges, including but not limited to stationary, walking, and alternating lunges. How to perform this exercise properly. Here is an example for stationary lunges. Hold 2 dumbbells to the side of the body. Bring one leg forward & make your body balanced. Bend your legs and allow the dumbbells to bring the body down towards the ground. At the same time, your front knee should not go past the toes. The other knee should almost touch the floor. After that, come back up. Do all of the repetitions with one leg forward & then continue with the 2nd leg.
- Hip Extension. This exercise may be called isolation one for the gluteal muscles. Lie face down on a surface. Squeeze the gluteal muscles & hamstrings and straighten your legs. Lift one leg higher than the other & alternate. Your movements should look like water flutter kicks. Do 3 sets of 20 repetitions per each leg.
Here’s a tip: To make your workout more efficient, you can use BCAA and / or pre-workout supplements before your training session. Some people use illegal steroids to make their butt workout challenge faster.
Butt Workouts for Women and for Men – Is There a Difference?
Butt workouts for women are usually less difficult than butt workouts for men. However, males typically do fewer sets for this muscle group. This is due to the fact that the gluteal muscles are a more important area for females (the butt is one of attributes of female sexuality). Many women want a Brazilian butt. But in general, exercises for women and men are the same.