There are many dietary supplements on the market. Some of them have specific action, while other provide overall benefits. Wild yam is a plant with complex action on the human body. It can be used by both females and males. In this article, we will tell you all you need to know about wild yam in the natural form and in the form of supplements.
Wild Yam – What Is It?
Wild yam (Dioscorea villosa) is a perennial grassy vine, reaching 4 m or more in length. Wild yam is a common name for several species of the Dioscorea family. The plant grows to several meters long; its rhizomes can reach seventy kilos of weight. The most famous producer of yams is Nigeria, also this plant grows in other African countries, Southeast Asia, China, Central and South America. Yams harvesting begins in April and ends in late autumn. This tropical culture, unlike its congeners, can be stored for a long time even at high temperatures. However, in raw form, the plant is virtually not used as food.
Small yams roots are used for plant propagation. Large white or yellow roots, rich in vitamins C and B6, potassium, manganese, fiber, and starch, cut into small pieces, dried and ground into flour, from which cakes and sauces are prepared for various dishes. Yams is almost as nutritious as cassava, but it contains much more protein.
Supplements with Wild Yam Extract
The most popular products on the basis of yams are dietary supplements. Their actions are broad in purpose – they can improve general health, preserve beauty and freshness, as well as prevent the development of various diseases. Dietary supplements are offered in the form of dry powders and tinctures with wild yam extract. To solve gynecological problems, a vaginal cream may be used intravaginally. As you can understand, dietary supplements contain extract of the plant. In addition to powders, tinctures, and creams, capsules, tablets are also very popular. Here are their descriptions:
- Capsules. They are convenient for administration, especially the so-called liquid capsules. The medicinal extract is covered with a plant/animal “shell”. Getting into the body, it is quickly absorbed and produces the promised effect. Manufacturers of capsuled supps enhance their effect with additional ingredients, such as E vitamin, black pepper seed extract, and so on. It should be noted that black pepper extract may increase the absorption rate of the main agent of the supp.
- Pills. They are the most common form of medication. Tabs aren’t absorbed as quickly as capsules, but they are effective with the correct dosage and compliance with the prescribed cycle. Instruction which is usually placed in the pack, will explain the rules of taking in detail. Yam may be one of sports supplements’ ingredients produced in the form of pills.
- Creams. The cream based on the extract from wild yam root is part of a complex of skin care products. Such compositions enrich the epidermis with useful trace elements. The cream will support youth and health. In addition, special developments of cosmetologists are recommended for daily care (we mean natural and healthy cosmetics). By the way, you may be interested in steroid creams application.
- Liquid versions. Such a form is rare on the dietary supplements market. The liquid solution can be added into tea.
The Use of Wild Yam Supplement for Treating Female Problems
Women may use root vegetables and tinctures from the leaves of wild yam (or wild yam supplement) to relieve pain during menstruation. This herb can reduce pain, spasms, and cramps.
- Dioscin, which is contained in yam, activates the contraction of the uterus musculature, thereby causing a positive improvement in sexual capabilities and female fertility. Such beneficial features attract women with decreased sexual desire, and females experiencing menopause.
- Phytoestrogens, which are part of the roots and leaves of the plant, help the body regulate the hormonal balance. They also help to control the periodicity of menstrual cycles, delay the onset of menopause, and prevent atrophy of the uterus.
Yam-based dietary supplements moisturize the skin and slow down skin aging processes. They also lead to activation of the production of hormones of maternity, as well as collagen. A woman remains young and beautiful; her skin retains elasticity and attractiveness. In Mexico, women use the plant as a contraceptive remedy, to prevent premature birth, and to treat toxicosis that may accompany pregnancy.
The supplement has analgesic effect, improves mood, provides healthy sleep, and enhances memory. It should be noted that it has antispasmodic, choleretic, and anti-inflammatory properties, it can also reduce the level of lipids in blood vessels and content of cholesterol in the blood.
Other Benefits of Wild Yam
With the help of wild yam, the human endocrine system begins to actively produce more than twenty different hormones, including sex hormones. Their absence or small amount (which is observed not only in the elderly, but also in people with different kinds of diseases) leads to hypogonadism. It is believed that wild yam helps to produce progesterone, so it is used in the case of low progesterone in women. As a consequence, it provides positive influence not only on individual systems of the organism, but on all metabolic and biochemical processes.
At present, yam is one of the most famous anti-aging agents. Wild yam, as scientists have found, contain substances called precursors of hormones. It is widely known that after 30-35 years in the human body there is a reduction in the level of hormones. As a result, people become more prone to apathy, drowsiness, excess weight gain, and obesity. Studies prove a direct relationship between the decrease in the level of hormones and the development of some serious diseases such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Other wild yam benefits are as follows:
- it improves spots performance in general;
- it promotes weight loss, while preserving muscle mass;
- it increases sex drive and libido;
- it promotes fat burning;
- it increases endurance and stamina.
The Use of Wild Yam Root in Cooking
The first dishes with yam roots were created by fishermen from the coastal territories of the African continent in Medieval times. These food products helped people to save from hunger at the beginning of the rainy season. In Africa, yam roots are considered universal food. The same goes for Mexico, Mexican yam is also well-known dish. Ways of their cooking are different:
Wild yam roots may also be cooked on the grill. Another way is rubbing and adding to desserts. In addition, yam may be used to make flour, bake bread. Flour has a pleasant aroma inherent only in traditional dishes of southern African countries. Wild yam contains a large amount of starch, so it is rich in caloric content.
Contraindications and Possible Harm of Wild Yam
The use of wild yam supplements may be counter indicated for some categories of people. There is a certain list of diseases when the administration of yam becomes dangerous and causes complications or side effects. It is contraindicated if a woman suffers from the following diseases:
- uterine myoma;
- malignant tumors of ovaries;
- mammary cancer;
Some cooking recipes involve the use of root parts in raw form without heat treatment. Such food may disrupt the work of the liver and kidneys, as well as cause indigestion. There may be even allergic reactions and problems from the side of the respiratory system.
Wild yam is not allowed for use during pregnancy and lactation. In some occasions, the plant may provoke premature birth and changes the development of the fetus. When breastfeeding, a baby may be at risk of developing abnormalities in health, but studies of scientists do not have scientific evidence of harmful or beneficial effects on the body of a newborn. Therefore, don’t expose yours and your baby health at risk, it is better to choose scientifically proven remedies, which are safe for mothers and their babies.
Wild Yam Reviews
According to users’ reviews, wild yam is a powerful supplement. We’ve gathered information from some websites, so you can see the most useful reviews below:
- “I’ve been using wild yam supplements for 8 months. Its beneficial effects include libido improving, sexual desire boosting, and so on. I believe, this plant influences hormonal background in the body.”
- “In general, the state of health is excellent, the head is clear, the capacity for work is increased, etc. However, my chest hurt a little. Therefore, you need to choose the right dose and time of administration.”
- “I have myoma, so I decided to order this remedy. After a month of the use, I concluded that it works. I lost my headaches, tension in the lower abdomen, the symptoms of PMS became softer, and in general my health improved. In addition, there were virtually no menstrual pains that usually torment me.”
- I’ve been using this product for a long time (according to the regimen recommended by my doctor), as a replacement for hormonal drugs. I have taken it and will continue to take, and I recommend this supplement to women as a preventive supplement.
You can buy online yam-based supplements and sports products containing extract of this plant.