Regardless of whether you take anabolic steroids or are treated with corticosteroids, you may notice that your appetite dramatically elevates. Why do steroids make you hungry? Read on to know more.
Appetite-Improving Effects of Anabolics
Anabolic steroids affect the appetite by increasing the metabolism in the human body. Muscles use more protein; the athlete spends more calories in training because of enhanced performance. One user of the website Evolutionary wrote that he experienced an ineradicable feeling of not complete fullness after a meal because of the use of testosterone cypionate. He wanted to eat every 2-3 hours.
Boldenone is the most powerful stimulator that spurs a gargantuan appetite. It’s also associated with serious adverse side effects. They can say the same about the anabolic steroid methenolone enanthate (trade name Primobolan). Although some athletes write that Primo doesn’t provoke esurience.
Many individuals experience a voracious appetite during steroid therapy. This is necessary to speed up gains in musculature, which is the goal of many steroid cycles.
Appetite Enhancement for Muscles Enlargement
Balanced nutrition contributes to the stimulation of hungriness. Small portions of your favorite foods and their frequent intake are the best solution. “Upgrade” your diet periodically to prevent aversion to some products. Get rid of the constant consumption of certain dishes, even those adored by you.
Eating before going to bed provides glucose level lowering in the morning and stimulates appetite at breakfast. Add spicy condiments when cooking.
According to Sportwiki, specialists recommend drinking sour juice before eating. You can consume the bitter beverage if you don’t have contraindications, for example, a stomach ulcer or heartburn. A small sugar amount speeds up insulin emission, stimulating the appetite, while the sour taste reflexively impacts the mucous. Several tablespoons of cabbage juice are also suitable.
A beautifully laid table, which has an influence on the human’s perception, also has played a crucial role. It’s difficult to resist an offer to try perfectly decorated dishes.
Workout with fresh air outdoors is also a contribution. An intensive warm-up along with basic fitness exercises can inspire you to eat a substantial dinner.
How to Reduce Appetite?
If you need to suppress your appetite and feel full, use the following the tips:
- Drink plenty of water. A glass of water before a meal makes you feel fuller and satisfied.
- Consume hot drinks, such as green or Yerba Mate (extracted from Ilex paraguariensis plant) tea, coffee (preferably decaf).
- Carbonated water is also an appropriate choice.
- Eat high-fiber products (beans, pulses, lentils, chickpeas, avocados, whole grains, chia seeds).
- Do exercises. Physical activity reduces ghrelin, which causes hunger and boosts the rate of PYY and GLP-1 [glucagon-like peptide 1] (“fulness hormones”).
- Eat bulk foods, which prevent stomach growling. Avoid strict diet, which induces a ravenous appetite, triggering a relapse of binge eating.
- Use bigger eating utensils, namely a large fork.
- Stay busy.
- “Out-of-sight, out-of-mind”. Hide products in the fridge.
- Eat mindfully and practice meditation, yoga and other body-based techniques to curb a huge appetite.
- Use caffeine, which substantially cuts the desire to eat.
- Some may try cayenne pepper since the neuropeptide releasing agent capsaicin (C18H27NO3) has a beneficial impact.
Why Do Corticosteroids Make you Hungry?
As stated by Miriam Ciriaco, Pasquale Ventrice, Gaetano Russo et al. (University of Catanzaro, Italy, 2013), glucocorticoids control the feeling of hunger and the sleep-wake cycle. Wojciech Leppert and Tomasz Buss (Medical University of Gdańsk, Poland, 2012) reported a corticosteroid significantly improved the appetite in cancer patients. Corticosteroids increase appetite, so you need to control the number of calories. As with anabolic steroids, this is because of a metabolic disorder. But anabolic steroids help build muscle, whereas corticosteroids usually lead to excess fat on the abdomen, especially if you are a “couch potato”.
Watch your calories and exercise regularly to prevent excessive weight gain. If during the period of taking corticosteroids, you begin to feel hungry, even after a big helping, talk with your doctor. Perhaps he will prescribe another drug.
Also, don’t let the surplus kilos damage your self-esteem. Your body shape will return to the previous state, your belly will normalize relatively easily within 6-12 months after corticosteroid administration.