Are you searching for the top workout program for your chest muscles? It is a good idea to use proven routines of famous athletes like the Rock, CT Fletcher, and Arnie. Despite the fact that these celebs are steroid users (steroids in sport, such as testosterone propionate, as well as HGH, are very popular notwithstanding illegality of these drugs) their chest workout programs are perfect. So let’s consider ultimate chest training routines of these persons.
Arnold Chest Workout – Exercises of Mr. Olympia
In 1999, Arnold Schwarzenegger presented his classic program for the chest muscles, which allowed him to be the champion Mr. Olympia 7 times. Schwarzenegger’s training sessions were held according to a six-day continuous split. He did chest workouts twice a week: in its beginning and in the middle. Here are top exercises that he used (the so-called Arnold chest workout).
1. Bench Press with Barbell. Arnold began his training with bench press. “This is a fundamental component for the development of the upper body,” Arnold Schwarzenegger said. “This exercise is unique: it provides volume, strength and, not least, and, importantly, muscle density not only for the chest, but also for the front deltoid and triceps.” The athlete did 5-6 sets of bench press, starting with light weights and a large number of repetitions, then gradually moving to heavy weights and few reps. The first set was warming up the muscles, performed with ultralight weights (15 repetitions). How to do this exercise? Lie down on a bench horizontally and place your legs on the floor. The grip should be medium. The forearm should be in vertical to the bench. Remove the bar from the rack and completely straighten your arms. Lower it until the bar touches the chest. Hold some pause and press the barbell up.
2. Dumbbell Bench Press. Often athletes use dumbbells in a horizontal bench. Here’s Schwarzenegger’s opinion on this matter and here’s what he said: “Dumbbells allow you to work your chest with greater amplitude and force each muscle to work independently. That is, the stronger side does not shift part of the total burden on itself. For the chest, as well as for the other muscles, the maximum amplitude of movements is necessary, so that growth stimulation is the most effective.” How to do this exercise? Lie down on a horizontal bench and lift the dumbbells so that they are over your head, palms forward. Lowering the weight, bend, then lift the weight to its starting position, straighten the arms completely.
3. Incline Barbell / Dumbbell Press. Having warmed up, Schwarzenegger begins an exercise for the upper part on an incline bench for a bar press. “This exercise involves the previously untouched muscle fibers of the upper chest, triceps and deltoids. To do this, you need to provide the middle grip. Remove the bar from the rack and straighten your arms in the elbows, then slowly lower the weight until the bar reaches the top of the sternum. For a short time, stay at the extreme point and forcefully press the weight to its original position. You can alternate exercises with a barbell and exercises with dumbbells. Lie down on an incline bench and take dumbbells in each hand, lift them upwards with palms forward, make a semblance of an arch in the upper part of the body and lower the weight until you feel the peak of the muscle tension, keeping the arch, then raise the dumbbells to the starting position. Read more about the best full chest workout.
4. Chest Flyes with Dumbbells. According to Schwarzenegger, there are only two types of exercises for the chest: presses and flyes, and the rest are only auxiliary options. After completing the basic press movements Schwarzenegger performed an isolation training with the help of chest flyes on a horizontal bench. “Flyes aim to attack the chest, since the secondary load on the shoulders and triceps is noticeably less than when performing presses,” Arnie explained. How to perform this exercise? Lie down on a horizontal bench. Slightly bend your arms at the elbows. In the initial position, the dumbbells should look at each other. This position of the half-bent arms is maintained until the end of the exercise. Raise and lower the dumbbells, bent in the lower back. Experience the peak of contraction of muscle fibers. Here’s what Schwarzenegger says: “From the bottom position, bending over, lift the weight to its original position as if you were applying a wide hook to someone. At the culmination point, with extra tension, bring the chest to the full exhaustion.”
5. Dips. Schwarzenegger’s training, as a rule, ends with push-ups on the parallel bars. “In essence, this is a kind of bench press on the sloping bench head down. The more you lean forward, the greater the burden falls on the pectorals, and the less load is experienced by the triceps muscles.” How to perform this exercise? Exercise procedure is as follows: holding the handrails, completely straighten your arms and go as low as possible. For some time, fix at the extreme point and with the force straighten the arms, returning to the starting position. For greater effect, try doing this exercise with an extra load, which is attached with an athletic belt (at the waist). Another tip from Arnold Schwarzenegger: “As soon as you become an advanced athlete, start actively using supersets. For example, you can use supersets for the chest and back: after performing the bench press set switch to deadlift without resting. Such a pumping of muscle antagonists will give you an incredible load on the upper body.”
CT Fletcher Chest Workout Features
This program of training on the chest developed by CT Fletcher cannot be called a permanent program for the muscles of the chest, but definitely including this complex every few months into your routine, you will really blow up your chest muscles!
CT Fletcher himself calls this training program “To Hell and Back.” So, what is the essence of the program?
Your task is to perform massive 400 reps of bench press with barbell!
- Choose the weight with which you can make about 12-15 repetitions per one set.
- We recommend the weight to be set at the level of 50% – 60% of the RM (1 rep-max).
- During training, pauses between sets will increase and may reach 5-7 minutes, especially in the last 30 minutes of training, when the body will already be unable to quickly recover from the shock experienced.
- Do the exercise only in conjunction with a partner, during the last sets it will be very difficult, and the partner’s help is simply necessary.
The Rock Chest Workout (Dwayne Johnson Routine)
Dwayne Johnson is an American wrestler and actor, also known under the pseudonym of the Rock. He is an eight-time WWF / WWE champion, a two-time WCW heavyweight champion, a two-time WWF Intercontinental Champion and five-time WWF team champion. He is also the sixth champion of the Triple Crown and the winner of the Royal Battle of 2000. He developed a complex of exercises that helps to develop certain muscle groups, including the chest muscles.
The Rock chest workout is usually performed on Mondays. It includes the following exercises:
- Dumbbell Bench Press. 4 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Dumbbell Chest Flyes. 3 sets to failure.
- Barbell Bench Press. 4 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press. 5 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Lying Cable Chest Flyes. 4 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Incline Barbell Bench Press. 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Other training days of the Rock are as follows:
- Tuesday – Legs;
- Wednesday – ABS and Arms (read more about total ABS workout);
- Thursday – Back
- Friday – Shoulders
- Saturday – Legs;
- Sunday – Rest.
Despite the fact that Dwayne Johnson workout is perfect, he is probably a steroid user. Read more about Dwayne Johnson and steroids.