Do you want to boost your testosterone levels naturally? There is a good solution for it – a herb called Tribulus Terrestris. If has no side effects of steroids (like Anavar and Trenbolone), however, it provides good testosterone-boosting effect. In addition, it has other benefits for health. Read on to know more about this excellent herbal supplement.
What is Tribulus Terrestris?
One of the modern trends in the market of sports supplements (and dietary supplements) is the resuscitation of herbs to new life, which were once used by doctors and magicians of antiquity to treat various diseases. Most likely this is due to the eternal craving of mankind for mysterious and unknown phenomena, the disappointment in modern medicine and the belief in the wisdom of ancestors. Of course, many plants have healing effects, while others are virtually useless.
Tribulus Terrestris belongs to the first group. In bodybuilding, it is known as a testosterone booster, but, as claimed by natural supplements producers, also has other health benefits, including lowering blood sugar and cholesterol, normalizing hormone levels (including testosterone), and improvement of sexual function in males and females.
Many people wonder: “What is Tribulus?” Tribulus Terrestris is an annual herb widely distributed around the world. Traditional Chinese and Indian medicine has long used the roots and fruits of this plant to stimulate libido, maintain the health of the cardiovascular and genitourinary systems, and also as an anti-inflammatory drug. Animal studies show that Tribulus fruits are beneficial for the health of the liver and kidneys (they help to remove toxins) and have anti-stress effects.
An analysis of the offers in the market shows that boosters with Tribulus Terrestris extract are offered by many suppliers of sports nutrition (Weider, VPLab, Maxler, Optimum Nutrition, Biotech, CrazyBulk, and others). There are some reasons for this.
Tribulus Terrestris Extract – Main Features
Here are main features of Tribulus Terrestris supplements:
- completely natural products;
- contains a lot of saponins and other biologically active substances;
- can increase testosterone levels in the body;
- can improve muscle mass gains;
- can boost sex drive.
How does it work? It is believed that Tribulus provides its effects due to high saponin content.
Benefits of Tribulus Terrestris Supplements
Tribulus Terrestris changes the level of testosterone, and also positively affects sexual desire (libido). As is known from the textbooks on physiology, it is testosterone responsible for sexual function. On average, taking 750-1500 mg of Tribulus by men suffering from reduced libido every day for two months increases the sexual desire by 79%. This result was shown in a study by American scientists who conducted the experiment several years ago.
A similar effect was observed in the case of women: in the vast majority of them, sexual desire was increased due to the intake of 500-1500 mg Tribulus for 90 days. The degree of sexual arousal and satisfaction also increased. Therefore, Tribulus can also be effective for increasing libido in women. As you know, in the pharmaceutical market there are very few medicines intended to treat sexual dysfunctions in women. Therefore, Rribulus can become a good OTC libido-boosting remedy for women.
Tribulus Terrestris has some other useful properties, however, despite its positioning in the market as a supp with numerous advantages for health, some of claimed Tribulus Terrestris benefits do not have adequate scientific confirmation:
- Tribulus acts as a diuretic, stimulating the excretion of fluid from the body with urine;
- experiments on animals showed improvement of the immune system when using this drug;
- it acts as an antidepressant;
- it has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect;
- it reduces the risk of cancer (this property is a characteristic of many plants, due to high content of antioxidants).
The Proper Dosage of Tribulus Terrestris
In the instructions (inserts in the package) for the use of Tribulus pills, its doses are often indicated together with the percentage of saponins. Saponins are chemical compounds in the plant, which are probably responsible for its beneficial properties, as indicated in multiple research.
Typically, the proportion of saponins in testosterone boosters and other Tribulus-containing dietary supplements should be 45-60%. Obviously, the higher this amount, the smaller the dose of the supplement, since the concentration of the active substance is higher. It is believed that 45-60 percent of saponins are the “gold standard” for supps based on Tribulus.
Instructions for the use of Tribulus are very simple and determined by the goals that you have set for yourself. In scientific studies, the effectiveness of the following doses of extract of tribulus terrestris is shown (taking into account that the content of saponins is 60%):
- To normalize the blood sugar level – about 1000 mg of Tribulus per day. Tribulus can lower blood glucose levels and even reduce the risk of developing diabetes (however, more research is needed to confirm this statement);
- To increase the libido – Tribulus Terrestris dosage is about 200-450 mg per day. As we pointed out above, Tribulus is a powerful libido enhancer. This is partly due to the fact that it raises testosterone levels. However, the full mechanism of influence on libido is not fully known.
- To increase testosterone in bodybuilding (or in other sports activities) – about 1000 mg of Tribulus per day (the specific dosage depends on the content of saponins in the product). Athletes are mostly positive about this product (you can see the real Tribulus Terrestris reviews below). They say that this is one of the best natural products for increasing testosterone. Of course, its effect may be weaker than the effect of powerful anabolic steroids, such as Sustanon 250. However, the undeniable advantage of this product is that it is completely safe for health, at least in healthy individuals. However, if you suffer from heart disease or any other serious illness, you need to consult a doctor.
Sometimes in pharmacies or online shops you can buy roots or flowers of Tribulus in powder form. In this case, to increase the libido one should take 5-6 grams of powdered roots or 2-3 grams of powdered fruits.
Possible Side Effects of Tribulus Terrestris
In most studies, there were no side effects of Tribulus, therefore, it can be considered generally safe for health. Single cases include mild stomach pain and eructation (however, these Tribulus Terrestris side effects may be more pronounced if the person suffers from ulcer or gastritis).
Persons suffering from kidney diseases should use this supplement with caution, since at least one case of its toxicity is known when a man tried to get rid of kidney stones by drinking 2 liters of water with a Tribulus dissolved in it.
A lethal dose of Tribulus is considered to be 120-140 mg/kg (in the form of injections). In fact, it is almost impossible. A life-threatening dose in the form of tablets is not established, since scientists do not know exactly the level of their absorption in the body. But in general, they are safe for health. Side effects of illegal steroids are much more harmful for health.
Tribulus Terrestris Reviews – What Do Athletes Say About It?
We’ve gathered some reviews of athletes who used Tribulus supplements. Here are what they said:
- “The drug does not suit everyone, even if you are 20 or 40. But if it suits you, you will feel the result.”
- “I would not recommend exceeding the daily dose of 1500 mg. Take one capsule before training or after waking up. The main thing is to do this on an empty stomach.”
- “Tribulus Terrestris is a powerful product. I bought and used a whole cycle that consisted of one tablet a day for one month (it was 2 months ago). Of course, I felt great: the mood was rising, and the sex drive intensified. I also worked with bigger weights in the gym.”
- “Tribu is a great supp! I use it on an everyday basis and I’m happy. I believe this product has the same effects as some anabolic steroids.”
So, today Tribulus is widely known as a testosterone booster and is used to treat symptoms of low testosterone, as well as in bodybuilding to stimulate muscle growth. Also, this plant is a good libido-enhancer for womem and men.