Many people think it will be possible to receive a good and flat belly without general exercises on the whole body. But this is a wrong opinion and that’s why in fact, abdominal muscle exercises burn very few calories. Why? Because their volume is much less than, for example, the volume of the muscles of the back. Therefore, on the leg day, for instance, you can burn a much higher number of calories than if you trained the rectus abdominis only (you might be interested in what steroid burns fat). So do not get hung up on the abdominal exercises. The main thing is basic exercises. These exercises are also called multi-joint exercises. This means that they involve almost the entire body.
There is one more point. Fat on the body is not burned locally, it is burned evenly throughout the body. Therefore, if you concentrate only on exercises on the press, this does not mean that fat will be burned there. Therefore, the popular advertisements of various mega devices for local fat burning on the belly are false. Do not believe such scammers. Train hard and eat properly. Only in this way will you get the desired result. Let’s consider the best exercises and example routines for your lower, upper, side and middle Abs. After reading this article, you will know how to workout and what else you can do to get shredded Abs.
Lower Abs Workout – Exercises and Routine
There are many exercises intended to set your lower abdominal muscles on fire. Among them are:
- V-Up. You should lie faceup on the floor and extend your arms & legs. By contracting your abdominal muscles lift your hands & feet over your body. Return to the initial position.
- Plank Jacks. High plank should be your initial position. Make jumping movements like jumping jacks.
- Mountain Climbers. High plank should also be your initial position. Alternately draw your knees under your body. Your movements should seem like you are running in one place.
- Core Roll-Up. You should lie faceup on the floor, placing your arms above the head. Try to form a “U” shape with your body bending forward with arms outstretched.
- Bicycle Crunch. This is a combination of “The Bicycle” exercise and ordinary crunches. Sit on the floor or mat, bent your knees, lift your feet and place your hands behind the head. Bring your left elbow to the right knee, then do the same movement on the other side.
Here is an example of lower Abs workout routine:
- V-Up. 3 sets, 12-15 reps each.
- Plank Jacks. 3-4 sets.
- Mountain Climbers. 3 sets, 12-15 reps each.
- Core Roll-Up. 3 sets, 10-12 reps each.
This routine can be easily performed at home. You can use BCAA to increase your workout performance.
Upper Abs Workout – Exercises and Training Plan
Below are top exercises for upper Abs:
- Sit Up. You should lie faceup on the floor and extend your arms across the body. Bent your knees, and elevate your core from the floor. Some scientists argue that this exercise may be dangerous because of increased load on the spine, therefore, it should be replaced by ordinary crunches.
- Crunch. This is probably the most widespread exercises for abdominal muscles. It allows to give load on the rectus abdominis. You should lie faceup on the floor. Bent your knees, curl the shoulders towards your pelvis in limited amplitude.
- Pelvic Tilt. Do this exercise to make your upper abdominal muscles better. Lie faceup on the floor and bent your knees. Tight your Abs and bend the pelvis up. Hold it for 10 sec in the upper position.
- Supported Crunches. Lie faceup on the floor and bent your knees at near 90 degrees. You can do it by placing your feet on the bench or chair. Then perform crunches slowly, not very fast.
Here is an example of upper Abs workout routine for you:
- Crunches. 4 sets, 15-20 reps each.
- Pelvic Tilt. 3 sets, 8-10 reps each.
- Supported Crunches. 3 sets, 15-20 reps each.
Side Abs Workout – Exercises and Routine
In everyday life, this group of muscles is practically not involved, because it is responsible for the turns of the core. On the man of the athletic constitution, one of the best visible muscles is the outward oblique abdominal muscle. It runs from the sternum to the bottom of the abdomen, passing along an inclined vector. The left outer muscle contracts, turning the body to the right, that is, in the opposite direction and vice versa. There are many exercises for side Abs. Among the most popular ones are:
- Side Bend with Dumbbells. Stand up, hold a dumbbell on the right hand and the other hand should hold your waist. Bend to the left side. Take the dumbbell by the left hand and repeat the movement.
- Decline Oblique Crunch. Fix your legs on the bench and lay down on it. Raise your body turning to the left side in upper position. Go back and raise it to the opposite side.
- Side Jackknife. Lie on the side and bring your torso and leg toward. Hold for a while and return to the initial position. Repeat several times.
You can use the following side Abs workout routine:
- Dumbbell Side Bend. 3 sets, 10-12 reps.
- Side Jackknife. 1 set, 30 reps.
- Decline Oblique Crunch. 2 sets, 6-8 reps.
Middle Abs Workout – Exercises and Training Plan
Wishing to pump up the mid of their Abs, many athletes practice exercises only for this part of the body. However, such a technique is ineffective. Be sure to develop a full-fledged training program aimed at the complex development of all groups of abdominal muscles, and exercises for the middle Abs will only be the part of this combo.
You may adhere to the following middle Abs workout plan (as a part of your general workout routine):
- Crunches (Machine). 3 sets, 10-12 reps.
- Knee Raises (Hanging Grip). 3 sets, 10-12 reps.
- Rope Pulls. 3 sets, 10-12 reps.
General Recommendations on Getting Flat ABS
What conclusions should be drawn? If you want to get 6 packs on your belly, you need to train hard. Getting flat belly isn’t an easy task. Do not forget about other aspects of training abdominal muscles. We have already mentioned the main thing for the definition of abdominal muscles. This is a low percentage of body fat. Therefore, if you do hundreds of even thousands of exercises for abdominal muscles, but you will not eat properly, you will not achieve any results. More precisely the results will be but they will not be visible under a thick layer of fat on your belly. Therefore, you need to follow the following tips in addition to a full and high-quality training of abdominal muscles.
1. Eat right. You must adhere to the proper nutrition in order to minimize the percentage of body fat. Then the abdominal muscles will become more detailed and you will finally see the desired 6-pack on the belly.
2. Get enough sleep. Scientists have found that lack of sleep contributes to the release into the blood of an increased amount of the hormone cortisol which leads to the destruction of muscles and fatty tissue. Therefore, if you do regular training of abdominal muscles but do not get enough sleep, your efforts will be futile.
3. Do abdominal muscle workouts regularly. You can not just get good muscles and then just forget about them. A flat belly with ripped muscles requires regular training.
4. Abdominal muscles should be trained at the end of the main workout or as a separate training day.
Why should you do this? Read in our article – Should I train Abs separately or with butt, arms, legs, back & core.
5. Do cardio exercises. Cardio is a very important element of each training plan whose target is to improve muscle definition, including definition of your Abs. In addition, according to sports and health organizations, cardio is an integral part of healthy lifestyle in general. You can do ordinary cardio and / or HIIT (read more on 8-min HIIT workouts here).
In addition, if you want to speed up your fat loss processes, you can use special steroids that burn fat. These include, in particular, Anavar, Trenbolone, and Winstrol. They are very popular in bodybuilding.
But you should know that the use of anabolics is associated with some side effects of steroids. To minimize these effects, you should make your steroid cycle properly, also you need PCT after the end of your cycle.