You spend too much time staring at your phone… You may read sports news, but in fact, the only things getting a load in either case are your thumbs. That does not mean that your mobile device can’t help you lead a healthier and happier life, as well as trigger weight loss processes in the body (read more about steroids for fat loss). You just need to know the right applications to download.
Workout Trainer Apps – What to Choose?
On the Internet, you can find a lot of mobile applications for effective training in the gym. How to choose the right application for you? You need to consider several factors. First, decide for yourself whether you are willing to pay a certain amount in a month or a year. Usually, apps for training are inexpensive. But if you essentially do not want to pay money then you need to choose free applications (or shareware ones). Secondly, you need to determine the type of training that you need. Developers have developed a mass of mobile applications for certain types of workout machines or types of training. Below we will tell you about treadmill, elliptical and cycling workout trainer apps, which are suitable both for beginners and advanced athletes. Workout apps in general are described here.
Elliptical Workout App for Better Ellipse Workouts
Elliptical machine is one of the most popular cardio machines. The Elliptical Trainer app for high-intensity interval training (HIIT) will help you spend less time with greater benefit. The basic idea of HIIT is the alternation of high and low intensity exercises. The goal of interval training using elliptical machine is to burn more calories, lose more excess weight and build more muscles in less time.
Here are functions of the elliptical workout app (their descriptions are taken from Google Play):
- Voice prompts (can be enabled in settings, Google Text-to-Speech should be installed).
- Integration with Google Fit. Enable “Send data to Google Fit” in the settings to activate this function.
- Calculation of the recommended heart rate limits. To do this, enter your age and heart rate in the settings of the application. Calculations are based on Karvonen Formula that uses maximum and resting heart rate with the desired training intensity to get a target heart rate.
- Calculation of calories burned based on the recommended heart rate limits.
- The application features 6 pre-set workouts.
- The possibility to create and flexibly customize your workouts.
- Adjustment of colors for each interval during your HIIT elliptical workout.
- Audio signals and vibration warning about switching to the next interval.
- User’s history of training in the form of schedule and list (calendar).
- A useful workout planner is also available.
How to use the application? Enter your gender, age and weight to calculate calories burned and heart rate limits. Select a workout on the workout screen to access the training screen, click on the training name in the upper left corner of the main screen. Stand on the elliptical machine. Just follow the timer and sound prompts on your phone.
Here are some reviews from users. “The application is good, but there is not enough control for heart rate.” “There is a lack of a more detailed description.” The app’s developer has promised to fix / improve that things.
Treadmill Workout Apps – Treadmill Trainer, RockMyRun, and Others
You will hardly need a special application for a treadmill if you practice regular cardio running / jogging with a moderate intensity. This is due to the fact that all modern treadmills have built-in programs for calculating calorie burn, health parameters, and other indicators. But if you do HIIT workouts, such applications will be useful to you.
The Treadmill application for interval training (HIIT) helps you spend less time with greater profit. As we have mentioned earlier, the basic idea of interval training (HIIT) on the treadmill is simple: alternating high and low intensity exercises. The goals of interval training on the treadmill are to burn more calories, lose more excess weight and build more muscle in less time.
Here are functions of the app (also taken from a Google Play description);
- Voice prompts (This function can be enabled in settings, while Google Text-to-Speech should be installed).
- Integration with Google Fit. You should enable “Send data to Google Fit” in the settings if you want to activate this option.
- Calculating recommended heart rate limits. To do this, enter your age and heart rate in the settings of the application. Calculations are conducted according to Karvonen Formula.
- Showing calories burned.
- Six built-in workout routines are available.
- The ability to create and flexibly customize your workouts is provided by the app developers.
In addition, you can set a color for each HIIT interval. You will be notified about switching to the next interval by audible signals and vibration. There is a system for gathering workout statistical data (in the form of schedule and list).
How to use this workout trainer app? Enter your gender, age and weight to calculate calories burned and your heart rate limits. Select a workout on the app screen to access the training screen, then click on the training name in the upper left corner of the main screen. Stand on the treadmill machine. Just follow the timer and sound prompts on your phone.
You can also use the following treadmill workout apps:
- RockMyRun. This perfect application provides access to an extensive music library and adjusts the playback of songs to run speed or your pulse. If you are a long-distance runner, you know how important it is to run according to the rhythm of the music. Therefore, instead of adjusting to the songs, you can make the music arranged for you.
- Charity Miles. With the help of the app, you can participate in a social challenge, namely to help people who are in trouble. Choose a charitable organization, turn on the GPS and run! Each mileage recorded by the app is equal to the small amount that the sponsor donates to the charity fund you have chosen. The more you run, the more significant will be your social contribution.
- Zombies, Run. This is a great application for those who think that running a fantastically boring job. It turns your training into a rescue mission from zombies. With the help of sound design and various dramatic effect, Zombies, Run will give you additional motivation during workouts. This app is suitable for all who want to diversify their jogs.
You might be interested in bodyweight workouts. If so, read our articles on beginner back calisthenics workouts and the best bodyweight home workout for men and women.
Cycling Workout Apps – Bike Trainer, Vescape, and The Sufferfest
Bike Trainer application for interval training (HIIT) helps you spend less time with greater benefit. The basic idea of interval training (HIIT) on a bike trainer is simple: alternating high and low intensity intervals. Other functions of the application are similar to the two applications (Elliptical Trainer and Treadmill) described above.
The Vescape app for Android and iOS offers workouts and video games. How to use it?
- Download the Vescape application. It is available on Android and iOS for iPad, iPhone, smartphones and tablets.
- Connect your bike machine. The Vescape app simply connects to your own bike via Bluetooth.
- Start the workout. Place the smartphone or tablet on the front of your home bike or elliptical machine and launch the Vescape application. It will help you enjoy your workout and achieve maximum results.
Another example of cycling workout apps is The Sufferfest. This application, available for iOS devices, Mac Windows PCs, uses real race footage from some of the world’s most competitive courses to guide you through heavy workout routines you can do on a bike trainer or indoor cycle.