If you are a mesomorph, we can say that you are lucky. Mesomorph is a person who has big muscle volumes and good bone tissue in the body. Mesomorphs do not have much fat in the body and they respond very well to training. But this does not mean that mesomorphs should not eat properly. If you want to achieve good results in sports, you need to eat right regardless of your body composition. One of the elements of the daily diet is a pre-training meal. In this article, we will tell you about the best pre-workout meal options for mesomorphs.
Best Pre-Workout for Mesomorphs
Some people think that they can eat anything before training. They believe that any junk food before exercise will go to the muscle tissue and will not lead to fat mass gaining. There is a deal of truth in it. Indeed, you can pamper yourself a bit before training. But we do not advise you to eat a lot of sweets, trans fats, fast food, and the like. In any case, these kinds of food will harm the body. According to science, pre-training meals should contain carbohydrates and proteins, as well as a little fat.
People who are ectomorphs (the so-called hardgainers) often use carbohydrate-protein mixtures before workouts. These mixtures (gainers) supply the body with a large amount of calories and allow maximum energy balance of the body. Mesomorphs may not consume protein-carbohydrate mixtures because this category of people does not have problems with muscle mass gaining, as we already noted earlier. They can drink protein shakes and eat a few carbohydrates separately so as not to spend a lot of money on gainers. They can also use sports supplements such as BCAA and Tribulus Terrestris, which helps to boost testosterone naturally. Anyway, mesomorph pre workout meal or drink should be healthy.
Optimal Nutrition for Mesomorphs – General Recommendations
The most important macronutrient for mesomorphs is protein. It is very important for your recovery processes and volumes of your muscles. The more sources of protein found in your diet, the better. You should receive sufficient quantities of protein to get all the necessary amino acids.
The best sources of protein: chicken, turkey, lean beef, pork tenderloin, egg whites, dairy products, white and red fish, seafood, sports nutrition.
Carbohydrates are also very important. They are important for general health and performance. The main part of the diet should be carbohydrates with a low glycemic index, which will satiate you with energy for a long time. You may eat simple carbohydrates, but in moderate quantities. It is most optimal to use them in periods when the body needs a little “fuel” to stop catabolic processes, for example, immediately after awakening or after strength training.
The best sources of carbohydrates: buckwheat, brown rice, basmati rice, oatmeal, pearl barley, pasta from durum wheat, potatoes, bread, vegetables, fruits.
For the normal functioning of the body, fats are also needed. The emphasis should be on so-called unsaturated fatty acids or healthy fats. Their intake will help to lower the level of cholesterol in the blood, prevent the development of atherosclerosis and other diseases of the cardiovascular system. Also, good fats normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, fats are of great importance for the entire endocrine system, because they are the “building blocks” for the production of sex hormones.
The best sources of fat: nuts, natural peanut butter, avocado, fish oil, vegetable oils, egg yolks, seeds.
Pre-Workout Meal for Mesomorphs
Here’s what you should know about a pre workout meal for mesomorphs. If you want to achieve optimal results in muscle gain, you should eat the right food before your workouts. Here are some options for your pre-workout meals:
- poultry meat (chicken, turkey) with potatoes, rice or pasta;
- poultry meat with whole meal bread;
- fish of low-fat varieties with rice or potatoes;
- cottage cheese with bread from a coarse flour;
- low-fat meat with porridge or potatoes;
- eggs with potatoes or porridge.
More detailed sample: 100 grams of rice (non-cooked), 250 grams of chicken fillet, salad of fresh vegetables. Such a meal should contain 50 g of protein and 60 g of carbs.
If your goal is weight loss, you should eat too much carbs. Eat a lot of protein (the norm is considered to be 1 gram per one pound of body weight). Also you can eat fats, but you should prefer fat that are contained in fish, legumes, and vegetables (we have mentioned this above). The WHO do not recommend to consume too much animal fats.
Timing also matters. It is very important to remember that you should not eat shortly before training, as it will not be possible to fully exercise the full stomach. For example, if you eat immediately before training, during exercise you may experience nausea, reflux of gastric contents into the esophagus and other problems. Therefore, you should not eat your meal right before your workout. The best time to eat is 1 to 2 hours before your workout. This will allow you to produce sufficient amounts of energy and feel yourself good while performing exercises.
You might be interested in the best pre workout products for women.
Pre Workout Drink for Mesomorphs
We’ve found some homemade pre-workout drink options for mesomorphs.
- Milk and Banana. Ingredients: milk or yogurt (250 ml), banana (1/2), oatmeal (2-3 spoons), cinnamon. You can add natural yogurt and ice cream. Beat blender and drink in the morning. You can also experiment with the addition of other products: cottage cheese, strawberries and other berries, kiwi, cocoa, natural yogurt, coconut flakes, vanilla and even coffee.
- Cocoa Cocktail. Ingredients: yogurt (500 ml), cottage cheese (250 or 300 g), cocoa powder without additives (5 tsp), water (100 ml), sugar substitute. Dilute cocoa in water, then boil it. Cook for a minute, constantly stirring the mixture, then cool. Add the chocolate mixture and mix until you see a homogeneous structure of cottage cheese and yogurt. Drink after cooling.
- Ingredients: cottage cheese (200 g), juice (100 ml), yogurt (100 ml), persimmon (or banana). Mix the ingredients, turn them into a cocktail and enjoy. This pre-workout drink is good to consume in the morning. It fuels the body with energy and helps to focus on heavy compound exercises.
In addition, you can use pre workout drinks from sports nutrition manufacturers. They are divided into two main groups: supplements with stimulants (like caffeine, guarana, & other stimulating ingredients) and stimulant-free supplements (they may contain L-carnitine and / or vitamins).
Let’s consider some examples of pre workout supplements in liquid form.
VPLab N.O. Starter is a pre-workout supplement based on nitric oxide boosters. Its components are selected in such a way that the body retains a high degree of efficiency (productivity) for a long time. Also VPLab N.O. Starter helps to increase concentration in training, increases strength, supplies the body with energy and supports immunity. This product is good for those who have not yet tried on themselves powerful pre-training complexes or energy, because this product does not have a strong stimulating effect, and therefore, does not overload the central nervous system and does not give unpleasant side effects like insomnia, rapid heartbeat, and elevated blood pressure.
This pre-workout supplement contains 4 groups of components:
- For strength and endurance: creatine monohydrate, L-glutamine, beta-alanine, taurine;
- Matrix synthesis NO: arginine, citrulline malate;
- To support immunity and health: L-lysine, eleutherococcus extract;
- For energy and focusing: L-tyrosine, guarana extract, caffeine.
Weider Rush RTD is a ready-to-drink pre-workout product designed to increase endurance, achieve maximum results, and take your training to a new level. Weider Rush RTD contains an exclusive combination of well-selected ingredients to help you get more energy and strength than you imagined. Thanks to this drink you can increase your muscle development, improve your focus and motivation during your workout.
What’s inside this product?
- Citrulline and arginine. These are two nitrogen oxide (NO) precursors that improve blood flow to your muscles, promoting more intense workouts while decreasing recovery time.
- Beta Alanine. This is an amino acid that helps “seal” amino acids in muscle tissue. It slows down fatigue and therefore increases the duration of highly intense workouts. It also delays the moment of fatigue occurrence.
- Taurine. This is an amino acid that is involved in the transport of water and nutrients in cells, thereby increasing protein synthesis and muscle hypertrophy.
- Caffeine. This is a world-known stimulant that improves performance and reduces fatigue to help you make one more repetition and another set of each exercise.
- L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine. This is a dipeptide that has been shown to improve fluid absorption during exercise and muscle rehydration after physical activity.
- Gluconolactone. This is a naturally occurring polyhydroxy acid (PHA) with metal chelating, moisturizing and antioxidant activity. It reduces fatigue and improves focus, concentration, and mental adjustment.
- Zinc. This is a mineral that enhances the natural production of testosterone and stimulates the hormonal and immune system.
The drink can be used by all types of athletes (including mesomorphs), who train at the gym, or other athletes whether amateurs or professionals.
Pre Workout Snack for Mesomorphs
Below are good pre workout snack options for mesomorph athletes.
- Peanut Butter Banana Honey Sandwich;
- Fruit Parfait;
- Fruit Smoothie (you might be interested in post workout smoothies);
- Cinnamon Banana Overnight Oats.
It should be noted that some people use illegal steroids to maximize effects of workouts and proper nutrition. In professional bodybuilding, anabolics like Trenbolone and Winstrol are very popular drugs. But you must know that the use of that drugs is associated with some side effects of steroids.