Using steroids and anabolic steroids, like any other meds, leads to some undesirable consequences. Therefore, it’s crucial to follow the doctor’s recommendations when administering these medications. Below we will tell you about both positive and negative effects of steroids. In addition, you will learn similar information about anabolic steroids. Surely, you’ll be more medicinewise after reading this article.
Steroids Effects – Benefits of the Use
There are several types of steroids in the form of drugs – corticosteroids, female hormones and anabolics. Corticosteroids are able to imitate the impact of hormones, which are synthesized in adrenal glands, located in upper part of kidneys. Besides, the immunity is suppressed by these medicaments, in particular, by prednisone activity. Such a suppression can cause the inability of your organism to deal with infectious processes speedily and easily. These hormones also help to stabilize over-active immune system. For example, Prednisone (Deltasone, Prednicot, predniSONE Intensol, Rayos, Sterapred, and Sterapred DS brand names) is a great remedy directed at lessening inflammation of different forms (pain, heat, puffiness, and redness). Products based on female sex hormones have other effects of steroids, e.g. estradiol has a feminizing effect on the body, stimulates the development of the vagina, uterus, fallopian tubes.
Steroids Side Effects – What Can Happen
First, let’s talk about the side effects of oral corticosteroids (pills). Consuming this type of steroids affects the whole body, not its certain areas. The medication dosage also hugely influences side effects occurring, among which are:
- elevation of the intraocular pressure (glaucoma);
- fluid retention leading to leg swelling;
- arterial pressure increasing;
- different psychological effects, including rapid mood changes, behavior disorders;
- fast weight gaining, especially on face and neck zones.
The long-term taking of oral corticosteroids may provoke the following steroids side effects:
- elevated level of blood glucose, which can even lead to diabetes;
- a severe ophthalmic disease called cataracts;
- vulnerability to infections;
- osteoporosis (thinning bones);
- reduced rates of hormones, produced by adrenal glands;
- thick and pale skin, slow healing of injured body parts.
While using inhaled corticosteroids, a patient faces the problem of losing a certain amount of inhaled drug, which settles down in his mouth cavity.
In its turn it leads to the following side effects of steroids:
- fungal infection in the mouth (oral thrush);
- hoarseness (hoarse voice).
You shouldn’t swallow water when you spray the inhaler into your mouth. It’s important to avoid irritation in your mouth after taking inhaled corticosteroids (ICSs). Some doctors assure that ICSs consumption can be harmful to those children, who treat asthma, as they can slow children growing. However, it’s not scientifically proved.
Negative Steroids Effects – What to Look For
- Topical corticosteroids. Thin skin, acne, red lesions – these are problems you may face when applying these preparations.
- Injected corticosteroids. Adverse events of using injected corticosteroids are temporal. They include the following troubles: loss of normal skin tints, difficulty sleeping, dermal thinning, blushing and blood sugar jumping. The approach to each situation is individual. According to it, the limitation of corticosteroid injection period prescribed by a doctor can vary from three to four years.
If you take hormonal drugs like estradiol, possible side effects may include premenstrual syndrome, amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, symptoms of cystitis, etc. (in females), and tenderness, mammary glands sensitivity, gynecomastia, decreased libido in men.
Effects of Anabolic Steroids – What Should You Expect
Some of the athletes use a separate type of steroids, called anabolic-androgen steroids (AAS), willing to develop a huge strength and grow the mass of muscles in bodybuilding. Anabolic steroids, including testosterone, are produced naturally in our body. Their artificial variations (such as Oxandrolone tablets) are sold on the market.
Testosterone impacts our body in two principal directions:
1. Anabolic effects of anabolic steroids cause rapid muscle building.
2. Androgenic effects are able to develop some male traits, in particular, facial hair growth, louder and deeper voice.
Moreover, AAS are also aimed at speeding up the process of recovering from intensive and hard training, which allows athletes to work more productively.
Anabolic Side Effects – Unpleasant Circumstances
The main side effects of anabolic steroids include:
- endogenous testosterone synthesis inhibition (caused, for example, by Trenbolone cycle or Deca Durabolin);
- problems with the liver;
- increased levels of harmful cholesterol in the blood;
- alopecia (especially if there is a genetic predisposition), etc.
- virilization (developing masculine signs, therefore, the drugs are better for men than for women);
- testicular atrophy (with very long and uncontrolled cycle).
These are long-term effects of steroids abusing.
Besides, athletes, who take these drugs, are more likely to express unpleasant aggressiveness, which scares surrounding people.