Some people prefer steroids pills. But probably steroid injections are so appealing for most sportsmen because of their great effectiveness. This article is about injectable steroid medications, injection sites, and side effects. Well, let’s start.
What Is Steroid Injection?
Steroids are divided into two separate groups: oral meds and injections. The oral ones are more convenient, but the decomposition time of this artificial testosterone is shorter than injection form.
The injection method implies intermuscular administration. Many people wrongly assume that intravenous use is permissible and safe. It’s a mistake. Meds, which appear in the organism this way, are less absorbable and their excretion is also long-lasted (their traces may be visible even after 3 months).
All above-mentioned features prove that the injection kind is better absorbed than tablets or powder. Therefore, athletes, who are on steroids for quite a long period, prefer injections. But even this method can lead to various adverse events, which we will discuss below.
There are many injectable anabolics on the market. Among them are Boldenone, different testosterone esters, Deca Durabolin, Sustanon, and others. Often they are available over the counter but they are also RX drugs.
Where to buy injectable meds? You can do this in online pharmacies or brick-and-mortar ones. Try to choose licensed and reliable ones.
Steroid Injection Sites — Where to Give an Injection?
How to inject a drug? There are many discussions, concerning proper steroid injection sites. We unequivocally assure you, that all anabolic steroids need to be injected intramuscularly only, they should never be injected into a vein (this is a life-threatening manipulation). The gluteus muscle is the safest place for intramuscular anabolic steroids infusion.
You can opt for thigh, shoulder, or triceps as the site of such infusion. But it can be a very difficult task exposing some risks. If you don’t have experience, then it’s better not to risk and give a shot in the gluteal muscle. You can do this by yourself, but it’s better to ask your friend or girlfriend. This procedure is not complicated.
It is advisable to use different buttocks every next manipulation, which prevents the drug from accumulating in one place. If you notice infiltrates, formed on the places of old injections (which we will discuss below), suspend further injections and do massage. These will contribute to the resorption of these formations.
Corticosteroid injections may be given in places that are different from those of giving anabolics ones.
Steroid Injection Side Effects & Complications
Common assurance that complications and side effects are identic issues is not completely accurate. A side effect is a probable negative consequence, you can expect its occurrence, but there is no iron-clad guarantee of its happening. It includes possible pain, bruises and swelling at the injured site. They usually disappear on their own. No additional treatment is required for their elimination.
Complications, however, have to be immediately specifically treated. Abscesses, sepsis and damage of nerve are the most widespread complications. No one is indemnified from such outcomes. Its existence dates back to the needle and syringe invention. But don’t panic, since this problem has allowed doctors to thoroughly study unwished complications and create powerful methods of treatment.
Pain After Steroid Injection — a Frequent Side Effect
If a person is knowledgeable about this common result and inject properly, painful sensations have fewer chances to be experienced. It may appear if the needle enters a vessel or nerve zone.
The following factors may trigger terrible pain after steroid injection:
- Increased viscosity and low temperature of the injected solution. It is a huge obstacle for the muscle tissue to absorb cold oil liquids. Such solutions trigger sharp local spasm, which causes a drastic reduction in blood circulation in vessels, resulting in pain.
- Injection site is wrongfully selected. When the medicament is injected into an improper place, there is an augmented chance that the needle reaches the fatty or nerve tissue, the blood vessel, the intermuscular membrane, or the blood vessel. In addition to infiltrates’ formation, this even provokes vessel and necrosis embolism, not to mention excruciating pain.
- Involuntary muscles contraction during the manipulation. It threatens a needle break and an internal trauma, which causes terrible pain. Such injury can lead to extensive hematoma, which depends on the damaged size. This will seriously worsen the drug’s absorption.
- Use of an inadequate medical devices (improper needle: blunt or short). A blunt instrument doesn’t move apart the muscle fibers, but tears them. It induces ache, intramuscular hemorrhages, hematomas. A short instrument doesn’t enter deeply enough into the muscle tissue, and the fluid appears in the subcutaneous fat. It causes infiltrates at the site of administration.
So the cost of your ignorance of the injection rules can be your health.
Other Steroid Injection Side Effects & Complications
Other problems include hemorrhage and erythema. Hemorrhage occurs very often. This condition and hematomas formation depends on penetration depth: deeper pervasion raise the risk of them, since the skin surface is poor on large vessels (veins and arteries), lying under it. Erythema is a noticeable skin reddening, triggered by the capillaries’ engorgement. It can testify of allergic reaction. Also, side effects of the injection itself and its active agent should be distinguished. For example, active steroid substances may badly influence cholesterol level and cause testosterone deficiency. Injectable corticosteroids used in particular to treat low cortisol symptoms are advantageous for setting normal cortisol levels but negative effects are also possible. They are high arterial tension, inadequate glucose rates, calcium release & osteoporosis increasing, tissue regeneration retardation, peptic ulcer exacerbation, and poor resistance to infections.
So let’s move on to the issue of complications after injections.
Here is the list of possible complications after steroid injection:
- Allergy. It takes place in many cases. Theoretically, any medicine can be the root of an allergic reaction. It may be manifested by runny nose, swelling, sneezingб and coughing. Anaphylactic shock is the most severe condition with possible fatal outcome.
- Infiltration. The formation of tumor-like creations at the injection sites is also common. They can disappear by their own, but exceedingly rarely. Call the specialist immediately because absence of expedient treatment leads to abscess.
- Necrosis. Necrosis can appear for various reasons (poor disinfection, infusion of excessive amount of the preparation etc.).
- Abscess. It is very similar to infiltration, in particular, in terms of causes of development. However, abscess is distinguished by purulent inflammation occurrence, which requires surgery to be removed.
Steroid Injection and Much More on Our Website
We’ve created not just a website. It is a huge portal about anabolic steroids. Here you can know where to purchase them, about their types & price, high testosterone symptoms & treatment, post-cycle therapy with tamoxifen citrate, etc.