Shoulders are rarely trained on separate day. Athletes usually include exercises for the shoulder muscle in workout routines with along with exercises intended for developing other muscle groups. In this article, we will tell you how to build your training day and how to stack shoulder exercises with exercises for chest, back, traps, legs, triceps, and biceps. But first you should read the most important rules for building huge shoulders at the gym.
Main Rules of Training Shoulders
- Rule Number 1. People with long arms should forget about shoulder presses. The longer the person’s arm, the greater the distance to which he / she needs to move the weight. Therefore, a person will need to do more work to raise the weight, compared to people who have shorter arms. As a result, people with long arms will have to work within smaller amplitudes while performing shoulder press. This will reduce the load on the shoulder muscles. Of course, some people manage to find a way out of this situation, for example, the famous bodybuilder and prize-winner of the championship Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler does not hesitate to do shoulder press exercise in the Smith machine in a very short amplitude. His amplitude ranges from 15 to 27 cm. This is very small indicator. Any professional sportsman will say that it’s just ridiculous. But nevertheless, Jay Cutler is the champion in the field of bodybuilding and has massive shoulders. Of course, one must take into account the fact that that Jay Cutler probably uses anabolic steroids such as Anavar and Sustanon. If you do not use anabolics, most likely this technique will not suit you. But people who use illegal steroids may also benefit from it. People who use steroids achieve results much quicker than those who don’t use prohibited meds. However, it’s your game, you should decide, whether you need anabolics or not.
- Rule Number 2. Do not be afraid of big weights. Some people say that the shoulder muscle can be considered a small muscle and, therefore, the delt training should only be done using small weights. Of course, if you use very heavy dumbbells, there is a risk that most of the physical load will switch to the trapezoid. But there is a way out of this situation. Firstly, you can perform lifts on the shoulders with one hand and use the second hand to hold on to bench or something like this. In this case, you need to bend to the side of the working hands. At this position, the trapezoid will be almost excluded from the amplitude of the motion. Secondly, you do not need to do full amplitude. It is better to do physical exercises on shoulders with large weights using incomplete amplitude. In addition, you can use controlled cheating in this case. This is due to the fact that in this case, it can be not only harmful but also useful.
- Rule Number 3. You should forget about the back of your shoulders. Imagine an egg that does not have a third part. Approximately this way your shoulders will look if you do not train the rear beam. There are two options for training the rear head of the delt. The first option is the load of all three heads in one workout. The second option is training two heads in one workout and training the third one during the second workout. Usually, experts recommend the second option, that is, you can train the third head together with your back. To properly pump the back of the shoulder, you only need one exercise and some dedication. The exercise that you need is bent-over with dumbbells. You can do this exercise in standing or sitting position. However, dumbbells should not be quite heavy. Of course, there are other good exercises for the third head of the shoulder muscle. This is crossover, for example. However, the above mentioned exercises are considered by many experts as top ones for the rear head of the delt.
- Rule Number 4. The main thing is to find exercises that are right for you. These exercises should make your shoulders burn. You should feel incredible fatigue after doing these exercises. You will need to focus your attention on these exercises. The best technique for you is the technique that causes your shoulders to burn and which allows you to feel every muscle fiber in your shoulder.
- Rule Number 5. Focus your attention on the basic exercises. This applies not only for shoulder training, but also for training other body parts. Perform hard exercises, such as squats, deadlift, and bench press. This will help you boost testosterone levels naturally.
Same Day with Shoulder Muscles
Professional bodybuilders can afford one day to train one main group to work it out and achieve maximum proportionality in order to prove themselves in all glory at competitions. As you understand, professional bodybuilders train almost every day. For beginners or gym lovers, daily training will not do any good because the body of an ordinary person will not have time to properly recover after training, which can lead to bad consequences. In addition, people who are engaged in bodybuilding at the amateur level have a lot of ordinary worries, such as work, study, etc. Because of this, one simply can not devote themselves to training. While professionals literally live by bodybuilding, this is their main earning and because of this, athletes go to the gym every day. You should also understand that professional bodybuilders resort to using pharmacological support to quickly recover, improve the anabolic processes in the body, etc. (they use Sustanon, Trenbolone, and other steroids). Therefore, they go to the gym daily, without harm to themselves.
For beginner athletes and amateurs, it is best to stack shoulder and other muscle group workouts together (on the same day).
Chest and Shoulder Workout Routine
You can adhere to the following chest and shoulder workout routine:
- Pushups, 1 set, 30 repetitions;
- Barbell Bench Press, 4 sets, 6 repetitions;
- Smith Shoulder Press, 4 sets, 12 repetitions;
- Low Cable Crossover, 3 sets, 12-15 repetitions;
- Dips – Chest Version, 3 sets, 8-12 repetitions;
- Front Plate Raise, 3 sets, 6-8 repetitions.
Note it in your workout sheet.
Shoulder and Trap Workout Routine
Training deltoid muscles, as a rule, involves trapezoidal muscles. Consequently, they also require close attention. To work on a trap muscles, you should perform shrugs with a weighting agent, like dumbbells. Here is a good option for your shoulder and trap workout:
- Military Press, 4 sets, 15 repetitions;
- Side Lateral Raise, 4 sets, to failure;
- Dumbbell Shrug, 4 sets, 25 repetitions;
- Reverse Pec Deck, 4 sets, 15 repetitions.
Leg and Shoulder Workout Routine
Training of legs and shoulders is the hard work of a large muscle group and a small one. In other words, you actively train your feet, and using the rest of your energy you try to pump up your shoulders. In this combination, there is nothing wrong, because the training of the legs and shoulders do not interact with each other, except that you waste energy and the muscle group that trains at the end of your workout gets less load. The main advantage of leg and shoulder training is that you develop a very good hormonal response, which is so necessary for growing delts. Proceeding from this sequence, you should adhere to the following order of training: first train your legs, and then shoulders.
Here is a good example of leg and shoulder workout routine:
- Leg Press;
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press;
- Lateral Raise;
- Front Dumbbell Raise.
Do 4 sets and 15 reps for each exercise.
Shoulder and Back Workout Routine
Here is an example of shoulder and back workout:
- Pull-up, 3 sets, 5 repetitions.
- Dumbbell Pull-Over, 3 sets, 10 repetitions.
- Bent-Over Dumbbell Row, 3 sets, 10 repetitions.
- Seated Underhand Pull-down, 3 sets, 10 repetitions.
- Seated Close-grip Cable Row, 2 sets, 8 repetitions.
- Side Lateral Raise, 3 sets, 12 reps.
- Single-Arm Upright Row, 3 sets, 12 reps.
Shoulder and Tricep Workout Routine
You can use the following shoulder and tricep workout routine:
- Cable Raises (Warm-Up);
- Shoulder Press, 3 sets, 6-8 reps;
- Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise, 3 sets, 6-8 reps;
- Front Plate Raise, 3 sets, 6-8 reps;
- Ez-Bar Skullcrusher, 3 sets, 8-10 reps;
- Ez-Bar Close-Grip Bench Press, 3 sets, 8-10 reps;
- Tricep Push Down with V-Bar, 3 sets, 6-8 reps.
Shoulder and Bicep Workout Routine
Some people prefer to train their shoulders with biceps.
You can use the following exercises:
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press (4 times of 15 repetitions each);
- Reverse Incline Curls (4 times of 15 repetitions each);
- Reverse Incline Curls (4 times of 15 repetitions each);
- Upright Cable Row super set using Cable Curl;
- Front Delt Raises super set using Hammer Curl;
- Lateral Raises superset using Push Ups.
There are many video on YouTube, where famous bodybuilders and representatives of other kinds of sports show people how to do shoulder and bicep workout properly.
It is necessary to constantly monitor your own progress. When it slows down or the state of the plateau occurs, then it’s time to start high-volume methods that involve training on a system of drop-sets, forced repetitions, supercells. This step will not allow the stop of the growth of muscles, while allowing you continue to progress.
Another tip: If you want to achieve quick results, you may use anabolic steroids or HGH. If you don’t want use anabolics, you can use fully safe and reliable supplements, such as BCAA and Tribulus Terrestris. Anyway, you should work hard. No pain, no gain!