Progesterone in oil injection is a medication, suitable for treating progesterone deficiency in women. It’s also prescribed for preventing miscarriage. It can also be administered during the IVF process.
Progesterone in Oil Injection — Definition, Indications, Contraindications
This drug has synthetic nature and is considered a powerful remedy for elimination different functional disorders of the reproductive system. Also, specialist often recommend it in case of the presence of certain forms of infertility as well as for restoring menstrual cycle and recuperating from ailments, affecting reproductive system.
Low progesterone in women is determined by a special laboratory blood test, which a patient should undergo on the twenty-third day from the start of menstruation. Only this way it’s possible to determine whether a hormonal therapy is needed.
In ampoules this medication is produced in one milliliter of 1% or 2.5% solution. The drug’s effect appears in approximately an hour after the infusion, since it absorbs into the bloodstream very quickly.
Basic indications for using this medicine form are:
- Lowering of the hormone level in the females.
- Emerging bleeding, which has other nature than menses.
- Adjusting of the menstrual cycle duration. Before prescribing the drug for this purpose, detecting whether the woman is pregnant is compulsory.
- Abundant bleeding during menstruation.
- Progesterone insufficiency in a prospective mother.
- In vitro fertilization process.
- A miscarriage threat.
- If a woman has already had several unsuccessful pregnancy attempts, which has resulted in spontaneous rejection of the fetus.
- Corpus luteum deficit.
During gestation, the injections are prescribed for averting misbirth and curing any conditions, which cause it. The application is allowed only until the 36th week of childbearing. For women who intend to conceive soon, the medication is also contraindicated. Experts haven’t established yet the possible congenital anomalies, for instance, sexual anomalies, triggered by the exogenous progesterone’s impact. Doctors don’t recommend resorting to it during breastfeeding, because of preparation’s penetration into breast milk.
For precluding miscarriage induced by the lack of yellow body, the medication should be administered in the dosage of 10-25 mg each day/every other day until the complete riddance from the risk. If a person has survived miscarriages more than twice, the treatment should last up to the 4th month of childbearing.
Instruction forewarns, that individuals with asthma, kidney disorders and abdominal/tubal pregnancy should take the drug with prudence for avoiding deteriorations. Progesterone should also be used with caution by patients with mental disorders, it must be discontinued with the first signs of depression.
Don’t confuse drugs with micronised natural preparations (supplements), such as Hormorin, Dubagest, Endogest, Lutacare, Macgest, Natron (Panjon), Naturogest VT, Progez, Rimgest, Susten, Utrovin, P4-SR, Hernmp, and Strone. They are obtained from plant sources and has milder progesteronic activity.
Progesterone Injection Site: Where to Inject?
Most often, injections of the drug are administered intramuscularly or subcutaneously. The most common method is intramuscular injection, since this is the less painful method while the subcutaneous injection of the medication is often accompanied by indurations and even bruises.
How to choose a progesterone injection site? Intramuscular injection should be made in the muscle of the buttock. It is important not to get into the big nerves that are located somewhere in the breech’s middle. To do this, select the injection place following such pieces of advice:
- Imagine that the buttock is divided into 4 equal squares.
- Now look closer at the higher zone: assume that it consists of 2 triangles separated by a line, which runs downward from the inside to outer corner.
- The proper area for the shot is inside the upper outer triangle.
Progesterone Injections Side Effects
A long-lasting therapy can be the reason of serious side effects of testosterone injections, including:
- abnormal arterial tension and swelling;
- nausea and vomiting, problems with digestion;
- worsening of liver function;
- depressed mood, trouble sleeping and systematic migraines;
- significant weight increasing, a rapid decline of sexual drive;
- coarsening of the mammary glands, their painfulness;
- elevated blood clotting;
- drowsiness, flaccidity;
- allergic reactions;
- irritation, swelling on the shot place;
- yellowing eyes/skin;
- dark patches on the face;
- breast lumps;
- breakthrough vaginal bleeding.
Reviews about the preparation are mostly positive, many women note its substantial effectiveness. However, there is some critique, concerning a negative attitude towards the medicament, mostly induced by adverse events.
Some users experience none changes, saying that the therapy is futile. Anyway, it’s not advisable, relying on comments from Internet forums, to practice self-medication. You need to consult a licenced physician who will determine the correct medication in the proper dosage.
Other Kinds of the Drug
Today, pharmacies offer progesterone in tablets, gel, capsules. Tablets should be administered orally, capsules are for intravaginal route, and the gel is to be used externally. However, these forms are often considered ineffectual or inadequately effective.
Creams are actually beauty products for improving pulchritude. Moreover, their purity and safety cannot be guarantied, because they aren’t subject to very punctilious tests as ordinary medications.