If you want to become a functionally strong & powerful sportsman, you need to train your back muscles. When people train, they like to train 2 muscle groups on the same day. So the back workout is often combined with other muscle groups.
Back and Bicep Workout – Rules and Exercises
Back and bicep workout on the same day is a classic option among fitness folks, which is now offered to us by instructors in gyms. Let’s see if it’s right, and what exercises should be included in this program. It turns out that many exercises on the back involve biceps, but bicep exercises do not involve the back muscles. That is, training your back, you can train your biceps, but working out the biceps, you will not involve the muscles of the back.
There are some exercises for the back that do not load a biceps muscle or touch it slightly. This is, for example, hyperextension. Pull-ups, dumbbell rows, cable rows, barbell rows and any other exercises, where you lift the weight by bending your arms, include the work of the bicep. Therefore, if it is decided to pump them in one day, start with a heavier workout, that is the back workout. We cannot say for sure whether this approach is true. But it is practiced everywhere. Everyone chooses whether such a scheme is suitable for him / her. You need to focus on the following: if you start working on the biceps and feel that you do not have enough strength to finish the workout, it’s too early for you to train your back and biceps on the same day. Therefore, at the beginning of training, you should work out the bigger muscle group. This is advisable in terms of energy costs: a large muscle consumes more energy than a small one. Therefore, it is not recommended to train the bicep before the back muscles. So, what should you do? Is it a good idea to train these muscle groups in one day? Or should you separate these muscle groups? The answer is simple: if you have enough strength for training back & bicep simultaneously, do it. If not, divide train these muscles on different days. It is more convenient for many people to divide their backs and biceps on different days. So here’s what we can say about this:
- When it comes to fat burning training, it makes no difference whether you combine these muscle groups training or divide them, because you do not seek to increase the strength and volume of the muscles. (You may be interested in steroids for cutting).
- In case of bodybuilding, it may be a good idea to work in one-day mode (that is, to practice the back day and the biceps day separately).
If you decide to train both groups of muscles in one day here is a list of exercises that you can use on your back and bicep workout day.
- Wide-Grip Pull-Ups or Barbell Rows. On the day of training the back and biceps, it is undesirable to do a lot of pull-ups with a narrow grip, because this will significantly load your biceps.
- Rows, Hyperextensions, Pulldown Exercises. Instead of a horizontal bar, you can work in a block machine in the same way. Then you can perform T-bar row, or cable rows. Do these exercises in 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Then take the dumbbells and make bent-over shoulder flys for the top of the back and the back of the deltoids. Another option is a shoulder fly in a cable machine. Do not forget to do hyperextension to keep the lower back in tone. It should be done twice a week: on the day of back training and before the deadlift as a warm-up of the waist. This is an approximate scheme, each person individually needs to select a training program, check it, and constantly adjust. Therefore, it is to ask help from a professional coach in developing your workout routine.
- Barbell Curl. For biceps, barbell curl is considered the basic exercise. If you have finished your back workout, do this exercise in 3 sets with the weight, which allows to perform 8-10 repetitions. It is advisable to lean your back against the wall or a sport machine when doing this exercise. The elbows should be fixed near the body. Perform the exercise without cheating (barbell curls are probably the most cheated exercises). Lift the weight with the help of your bicep muscles.
- Biceps Curl on Larry Scott Bench. This is an alternative to barbell curls, but this exercise is slightly different. You can perform it with EZ bar or with dumbbells. Carefully choose the weight: during the first repetitions the exercise seems to be easy, but then it makes you sweat. If you do not straighten your arms, doing this exercise will be easier. But the whole point is in the maximum amplitude of muscle contraction. Therefore, on the Scott bench, you need to work at full amplitude. Working in the upper zone of the amplitude may be recommended during recovery period after bicep tendon injuries (with small weights, three times a week) in the absence of acute pain).
- Dumbbell Bicep Curl. Instead of Scott’s bench, you can use dumbbells on an incline bench. Alternatively, you can sit on the Scott bench, but with your back to the elbow roller. Slightly drop down, so that the arms under the force of gravity are hanging slightly back. In this position, it is convenient to make the bending bicep curls.
Here’s a tip: Use special sports supplements like pre-workout drinks and BCAA before your back and bi workout. They will give you a powerful energy boost. These supplements are good both for women and men.
Arm and Back Workouts – Set of Exercises
Your arm and back workouts will consist mainly of basic exercises, which, as we know, are the most effective. Naturally, at first we will work out the muscles of the back, since it is necessary to start with the largest muscle group as we have mentioned above. After a 10-minute total warm-up, let’s start your training:
- Wide-Grip Pull-Ups (1 warm-up set + 3-4 working sets with extra weight). If you can not pull up with additional weights, work with your own weight. If you can not pull up at all or can do a small number of repetitions, then you should give priority to a pulldown exercise or machine-assisted pull-ups, which will allow you to work out the back muscles more effectively in your particular case.
- Barbell Row (2 warm-ups + 3 working sets). Working sets are recommended to be performed in the athletic belt, so as not to injure the lower back. In the presence of any back injuries, it is recommended to perform rows in a lying position, so as not to load the lower back (T-bar row).
- Dumbbell Row (1 warm-up + 3 working sets). This is a final exercise for the development of the widest muscles of the back. During this exercise, you must adhere to the correct technique.
In each exercise, you should perform 10-12 repetitions. Then switch to training arms using supersets:
- Hammer Curls (1-2 warm-up + 3 working sets);
- Narrow-Grip Bench Press (1-2 warm-ups + 3 working sets);
- Barbell Curl plus EZ-Bar Skullcrusher (4 working sets). You should perform supersets only in the last two exercises, in total 4 supersets (8 sets) should be performed. If you train your arms exclusively with supersets, the load may be too big and may threaten you with overtraining.
Back and Tricep Workout – Killer Supersets
Here is a killer back and tricep workout for mass, which include several supersets:
- Superset 1: Lat Pulldown (3 sets, 10 reps), Tricep Kickback (3 sets, 10 reps), Hanging Leg Raisers (3 sets, 10 reps);
- Superset 2: Barbell Row (3 sets, 10 reps), Tricep Extension with Curling Bar (3 sets, 10 reps), Hanging Leg Raiser Side to Side (3 sets, 10 reps);
- Superset 3: Dumbbell Rows (3 sets, 10 reps), Tricep Extension with Rope (3 sets, 10 reps), V-Ups (3 sets, 10 reps);
- Superset 4: Cable Rows (3 sets, 10 reps), Cable Tricep Extension (3 sets, 10 reps), Plank (3 sets of 1 min each).
In each exercise the last set may consist of 8, not 10 reps.
Legs and Back Workout – Is This a Good Idea?
Legs and back workout is a relatively rare form of training combination. The muscles in your legs and back are the biggest muscle groups in the body. Therefore, we do not recommend training them in one day. Your body will receive too much strain. But for example, you can do the leg and back workout after a long break, or if you take anabolic steroids such as Primobolan, Masteron, and Trenbolone, thanks to which your body is able to recover quickly.