Methandienone (also known as Dianabol, Danabol, and methandrostenolone) is a powerful oral anabolic steroid. Initially, the drug was used exclusively for medical intentions—to stimulate recovery processes, cure burns, and increase the tone of the body.
“Juicers” use it primarily to increase muscle mass, although, like any other anabolic steroid, this one has many other beneficial effects (improvement of fat burning, etc.) Usually, it’s produced in small doses (5mg and 10mg). However, you can sometimes find larger dosages, for example, 20mg. In most countries, Methandienone doesn’t belong to any legal anabolic steroids categorizations.
Methandienone Dosage—Typical Oral Dose and Cycle
Methandienone should be avoided by anyone under 18 and athletes who have contraindications like liver problems, cardiac disorders, hypertension, prostate adenoma, etc.
The safest dosage of oral methandrostenolone is approximately 30mg. Typically, athletes take Methandienone 10mg three times a day—not the entire dosage in one go. This allows them to avoid sudden hormonal jumps and swings. Injection forms of the steroid usually contain fairly large dosages, but the duration of their administering should never exceed 6 weeks.
Bodybuilders usually take aromatase inhibitors eliminating the estrogenic effects one week after beginning a cycle. This helps to eradicate swelling and fluid accumulation and also prevents gynecomastia (mammary gland enlargement).
In addition, it’s necessary to closely monitor blood pressure. In situations of its increase, athletes must lower their dose or go on antihypertensive medications (for example, Enalapril 5mg, Ramipril, and Lisinopril).
Post cycle therapy (PCT) begins soon after the discontinuation of the cycle and is usually executed efficiently with tamoxifen at a dosage of 20mg for two to four weeks (the dose gradually tapers). To restore normal rates of endogenous testosterone, T-boosters can also be used. The main goal is to constantly observe any changes in physiological and hormonal parameters, and make appropriate adjustments in time.
Effects of Methandienone Injection in Bodybuilding
- Significant increase in muscle mass: this effect comes from the activation of protein synthesis.
- However, a large part of the muscle mass is gained from water retention.
- Without special medicaments, a rollback phenomenon is often observed.
Increase in strength: due to increased muscular hypertrophy, an athlete can lift larger, heavier weights.
- Fat burning effects: if one adheres to proper nutrition and performs cardio exercises, a handsome weight loss can be achieved.
- Strengthening of the athlete’s joints and bones.
- Increased appetite: this medication speeds up the metabolism, so athletes innately consume more nutrition.
In addition, according to a study by V. Wynn and J. Landon (British Medical Journal, 1961), in many patients, especially in the elderly and chronically ill individuals, it was discovered that the medicine produced a sense of wellbeing and improved confidence.
Methandienone 5mg and 10mg—Possible Side Effects
Before administering the drug, athletes should carefully study the instructions and determine the dosage and duration of the cycle. A common adverse effect of the tablets and injectable is gynecomastia, resulting from the transformation of a part of the active agent into estrogens. To prevent this negative reaction, aromatase inhibitors are administered.
Drug-Induced liver toxicity is caused by the specific structure of the active substance. To prevent this side effect, choleretic medications can be used.
This steroid also contributes to excessive hydration—cells retain an excessive amount of water, which leaves the body after the cycle, inducing the rollback phenomenon (a bodybuilder can lose about 20–50% of the weight gained). Aromatase inhibitors are effective in preventing this scenario.
Other possible side effects of the drug:
- Increased libido during the cycle and its temporary, yet extreme decrease after the cycle
- Testicular atrophy which can occur with prolonged cycles using increased doses of steroid pills
- Skin rashes on the skin
- Heartburn, a feeling of discomfort and burning in the epigastric area
- Alopecia (especially in men who are predisposed to this condition)
- Masculinized traits in women
- Females should steer clear of methandienone.
It does not affect lipid levels if taken in moderate dosages (M. Verdy, L. Tetreault, W. Murphy, L. Perron, Can Med Assoc J., 1968).
The drug is available under a multitude of brands:
- Alphabol by Alphapharma
- Alphabol-Cr by Alphapharma
- Diabolic by Cooper
- Dianabolos by Pharmacomlabs
- Methandienone by (Blue) La-Pharma
- DBOL 10 by Valkyrie
- Debolan and Methoral by Thaiger-Pharma
- DianaGen by Myogen
- Metaprime by Eminence
- Telmisartan Tablets IP by Avykt
- Methandienone Tabs by Oceanic Pharma
- Methomol by Flagship Biotech
- VBOL by Shree Venkatesh International Limited
- Methandienone Tablets by One-Dollar Healthcare
- Alphabol XR by Euphoria Healthcare
What is Better—Oral Pills or Injection?
The injectable form of the drug was popular in the second half of the 20th century. But as an inexpensive pharmaceutical that required no special equipment for the production of tablets, popularity declined. Now, Methandienone injections are becoming popular again. Sometimes manufacturers position them as innovative steroids with less toxic effects on the liver. However, they are often unreasonably overpriced.