Progesterone is naturally produced in the male and female organisms. Patients, especially pregnant women, are interested in its proper level. How to increase progesterone naturally?
Symptoms and Causes of Progesterone Paucity
In a female body the hormone regulates the menstruation and provides a successful fertilization. Progesterone insufficiency negatively affects reproductive system and even triggers various diseases (endometriosis, mastopathy, uterine myoma).
The main symptoms of its deficit:
- irritability, irascibility, sharp mood swings, depression, foggy thinking;
- fibrocystic breast;
- gallbladder problems;
- early miscarriage;
- ache, brittle nails;
- unrelenting fatigue;
- face and limbs swelling;
- irregular periods.
The basic reasons, inducing the hormone’s decline:
- Physical and emotional stresses (which leads to high cortisol levels) and cause a hormonal disaster;
- Bad nutrition;
- xenoestrogens, which hoax the organism, that the estrogen level is elevated;
- alcohol and cigarettes abuse;
- environmental issues (polluted atmosphere, impure water, radiation).
How to Increase Progesterone Naturally?
The future moms are seriously concerned about the hormone rate. They worry about the embryo’s formation and development, muscular ejection of the baby during childbirth and so on.
This hormone is synthesized from cholesterol compounds under the influence of vitamins and some other microelements. In particular, its emission is stimulated by vitamins B, E, and zinc. Arrange a consultation with a nutritionist, who will make the most effective diet for overcoming hormonal failure. Progesterone practically doesn’t occur in products in its pure form. However, there are foods, in particular magnesium-rich ones, that facilitate its synthesis.
You should consume more beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, dark chocolate, cabbage, tofu, avocado (rich in potassium, vitamin B, monounsaturated fats), fish (salmon, snapper, mahi–mahi / common dolphinfish), oysters, squash, sesame seeds, yogurt, bananas, wholegrain products, containing antinutrient phytate. Use plastic containers cautiously, never put them in the microwave.
Nutrition must contain enough proteins and amino acids. The best solution to the problem is proper diet.
The natural way to increase progesterone is achieved through the use of products comprising compounds responsible for the production of the hormone.
To increase the hormone amount in the blood quickly, take synthetic analogues, prescribed by a doctor. A low hormone level can provoke menstruations disorders and other female diseases. Therefore, during this period, a thorough revision of your own diet is compulsory.
Herbs to Boost Progesterone
Some herbs can imitate progesterone impact. Some patients opt for lady‘s-mantle (Alchemilla) in the amount of a tablespoon and ribwort seeds (a teaspoon), brewed in a glass of water. Physicians recommended taking the liquid three times a day.
Vitex agnus–castus (known also as chastetree, Abraham’s balm, chasteberry, lilac chastetree and monk’s pepperalso) also contributes to progesterone raise. Vitex agnus fruits need to be crushed & brewed. Let them draw. Then drink the remedy several times a day. The proportion is two cups of Vitex for a glass of fresh boiling water. Vitex is a science-backed herb, Van Die MD, Burger H, Teede H et al. in their book published by Planta Medica (2013) reported that it increases mid-luteal progesterone. Chelsea N Powers and William N Setzer (University of Alabama in Huntsville, 2015) wrote about suggestions that Vitex is a source of 3-ketosteroids with progesteronic activity.
Raspberry leaves plus wild yam tea is also a good remedy. For preparing an infusion, take yams and raspberry leaves (1: 1 ratio) and brew the ingredients in water (200 ml). Park MK, Kwon HY, Ahn WS, Bae S and others (Sejong University, 2019) revealed that wild yam extract has a weak phytoestrogenic action and stimulates progesterone receptors dumping proliferation in human breast carcinoma MCF-7 cells.
Often, the hormone amount gets lower because of the thyroid gland disorders. In case of such disfunctions, you can use rhodiola (rodiola) extract. The infusions, based on such herbal compounds, are the most effectual in the second phase of the menstrual cycle. Remember, that usage of any folk remedies should be approved by your physician. Don’t resort to self-treatment, it will only do harm to your health.
In addition to correction of the diet and using herbal components, there are other tactics by which a woman can enhance the natural progesterone inside her body. They include:
- Maintaining weight in normal permitted rates. In case of presence of excess kilos or obesity, the female body produces more estrogens than usual. This creates an imbalance in the progesterone. Although normal weight doesn’t necessarily mean that the synthesis of progesterone will be adequate. Anyway, your hormonal background will be more balanced.
- Lowering the stress level. Stress provokes a significant release of stress hormones (cortisone and cortisol in the blood). The most effective methods to prevent and lighten stress include meditative practices (Kundalini yoga, Zen or Zazen meditation, transcendental meditation, Vipassana, Mantra, Qigong, and Sufi techniques), writing your thoughts, reading, listening to musical tracks, and moderate exercise.
- Rest after physical exhaustion. Physical activity reduces stress levels, and training helps in maintaining a healthy weight. However, overtraining can be bad as well and accelerate the opposite process (high stress rate, poor progesterone emission).