Progesterone is a natural hormone that is present in both the male and female bodies. Often women, including pregnant ones, are wondering how to increase progesterone naturally.
Symptoms and causes of low progesterone
Progesterone is a hormone, the main function of which in the woman’s body is the influence on the menstrual cycle and the success of fertilization. The lack of this hormone not only disturbs the female reproductive system, but can also cause the development of various female diseases (endometriosis, uterine myoma, mastopathy).
The main symptoms that indicate the deficiency are:
- Irritability and bad mood;
- Breast swelling;
- Swelling of the limbs and face;
- Irregularity of the menstrual cycle.
The reasons contributing to the reduction of the hormone can be:
- Physical stress and emotional experiences (which leads to high cortisol levels);
- Unbalanced nutrition;
- Harmful habits (alcohol abuse, smoking);
- Influence of the environment.
How to raise progesterone naturally?
Of course, the future mothers are most concerned about the level of the hormone, because it has a significant effect on the changes that occur in their body during pregnancy, affects the level of development of the embryo, is responsible for muscular ejection of the baby during childbirth and so on.
This hormone is synthesized from cholesterol compounds under the influence of vitamins and some other microelements. In particular, its development is stimulated by vitamins B, E, and zinc. Arrange a consultation with a nutritionist, who will make the most effective diet for overcoming hormonal failure. Progesterone practically does not occur in products in its pure form. However, there are products that can stimulate its synthesis.
These include, in particular, beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, as well as wholegrain products. In addition, some foods, such as bananas and shellfish, help to reduce the level of estrogen in the female body, which helps to improve the ratio of progesterone to estrogen.
Nutrition must necessarily include a proper amount of proteins and amino acids, which are a building material for the body. The best solution to the problem is proper diet.
The natural way to increase progesterone is achieved through the use of products in the content of which there are compounds responsible for the production of the hormone.
To increase the hormone amount in the blood quickly, you should take synthetic analogues, prescribed by a doctor. A low level of progesterone can provoke a disorder of the menstrual cycle and increase the risk of some female diseases. Therefore, during this period, a thorough revision of your own diet is recommended.
Herbs to increase progesterone naturally
Some herbs can provide progesterone-like action. To increase the level of progesterone naturally, some people use the grass of lady’s-mantle and ribwort seeds. For this, it is recommended to brew a tablespoon of lady’s-mantle and a teaspoon of ribwort seeds for a glass of water, and after drawing, take three times a day (dosage is 1 tablespoon).
Vitex agnus also can help raise progesterone. Vitex agnus fruits need to be crushed & brewed. Let them draw. Then drink the remedy throughout the day. Brew the fruits in the following proportion: two cups of Vitex should be used for a glass of boiling water.
A good folk remedy that boosts progesterone is raspberry leaves plus wild yam. Tea with these plants is recommended to be used several times a day. To prepare such an infusion, you need yams with raspberry leaves in a 1: 1 ratio to brew 200 ml of boiling water.
Often, the production of the hormone is disrupted in connection with the problems of the thyroid gland. In this cases, you can use rhodiola (rodiola) extract. It should be noted that the adoption of these herbal infusions is effective from the second period of the menstrual cycle. It should also be noted that the use of folk remedies must be agreed with the doctor. Some herbs can even be harmful.
Other methods to boost natural progesterone naturally
In addition to revision of the diet and using herbal remedies, there are other methods by which a woman can enhance the natural progesterone inside her body. These methods include:
- Maintaining body weight in normal rates. In case of increased weight, the female body begins to produce more estrogens than usual. This creates an imbalance in the progesterone. Although normal weight does not necessarily mean that the female body will synthesize more progesterone, in this case the hormonal background will be more balanced.
- Lowering the stress level. Stress causes an increased release of stress hormones (cortisone and cortisol in the blood) and can cause the kidneys in the body to begin transporting hormones such as progesterone to cortisol. How to reduce stress or prevent it? The most effective methods to relieve stress include meditation, writing your thoughts, reading, listening to musical tracks, and moderate exercise.
- Rest after physical exhaustion. Physical activity can lead to a reduction in stress levels, and training helps in maintaining a healthy weight. However, overtraining can be bad for the body. Overtraining can lead to the fact that the body will produce more stress hormones than progesterone.