Subscription to an excellent gym sometimes costs a decent amount of money, but it does not guarantee that you will achieve perfect results. Many people do not even assume that some goals are quite achievable outside the gym with a dumbbell only. You can train at home or outdoors, in fact, everywhere, if you have dumbbells – a universal sport equipment. In this article, we will tell you about full body dumbbell workout.
Full Body Dumbbell Workout for Men – Basic Knowledge
Well, your goal is a minimum of equipment and maximum result in the building of muscle mass. With programs presented below you can work out the whole body and create a base for further development. Even if you already use sport machines or a barbell in your training sessions, this training with dumbbells can shock your muscles.
Do this training with dumbbells thrice a week and do not add extra exercises. If you need cardio, add dumbbell workout plan in the morning or after the main training with weights. The program is designed for a long period of time to provide an increase in strength and muscle. Do not forget about the warm-up before training, cooldown after and performing stretching / light exercises on non-training days.
Here are some principles you should follow to achieve best results.
- Progression. Observe the technique of doing the exercises and do each set to the end. If your level of training has grown, boldly increase your weight.
- Muscular failure. Do not exercise to failure. Train to the point where, as you think, there will be a muscle failure, if you try to perform another repetition. Training to failure is better for advanced athletes.
- Nutrition. The principle of muscle mass building is simple: you should eat more than you need to maintain the weight of your body to form muscle mass. If you do not do this, you can increase strength, but it will be very difficult to build muscle. You can read our articles about supplements helping in muscle gaining process: BCAA, citrulline, Tribulus Terrestris, and much more.
As you can see, dumbbell workouts for men is something that can replace a gym and a mountain of equipment. Of course, for the development of small muscle groups and greater muscle definition, you will need to complicate the program and use extra equipment. Nevertheless, dumbbells and the desire to act are the minimum that will allow you to create the foundation for a physique of your dreams.
Advantages of Dumbbell Workout Plan for Men
Agree, with the help of dumbbells you can certainly load a huge volume of muscles. It is difficult to list absolutely all exercises that can be performed using such sports equipment. We will describe only the most popular ones.
Dumbbells are very convenient because they can be used both in the gym and at home. This explains their high popularity among adherers of home training. For today in the market of the sports equipment it is possible to find the most different variants of dumbbells. An important option that significantly affects the price of dumbbells is the possibility to adjust the weight. But you should know that collapsible dumbbells are much more expensive than ordinary ones.
Thanks to this, regardless of gender or age, everyone can train with them. If you are a beginner athlete, then set a small weight. And, if you have a good physical preparation, then take a huge dumbbell and start your workouts.
Upper Body Dumbbell Workout – Routine and Description of Exercises
Your upper body dumbbell workout routine may be as follows:
- Dumbbell Row (for the back muscles) – 4 sets of 6, 6, 10, 10 repetitions
- Dumbell Press (chest) – 4 sets of 6, 6, 10, 10 repetitions;
- Seated Dumbbell Press (for the shoulder muscles) – 4 sets of 8, 8, 12, 12 repetitions;
- Dumbbell Shrugs (for traps) – 3 sets of 8, 8, 8 repetitions;
- Dumbbell Skullcrushers (tricep) – 2 sets of 10, 10 repetitions;
- Bicep Curls (bicep) – 2 sets of 10, 10 repetitions.
- Dumbbell Row. This is an excellent exercise for muscle growth. When doing this exercise, you can gain more muscle mass than when executing barbell row. This is due to the fact that here you alternately work with each hand separately. How to perform the exercise? Tilt the body forward, lean against the bench with the right knee and the right hand. Keep the left leg on the floor, and take the dumbbell in the left hand. Allow the dumbbell to pull your arm down, relax your arm. Holding the elbow close to the body, pull the dumbbell towards the hip. Pull your elbow as far as you can, while squeezing the shoulder blades. Lower the dumbbell to its original position. Make the necessary number of repetitions, then change the arm.
- Dumbbell Chest Press. This multi-joint exercise is well-known among bodybuilders. Very quickly you will understand that on one side of the pectoral muscles you have stronger than the other. In contrast to the bar, you can lower the dumbbells below and, correspondingly, more deeply contract the pectoral muscles. Here is how to perform the exercises. Lie on your back, on a bench, the feet should be on the floor. Take a dumbbell in each hand, keep them at a distance wider than the shoulders. Press the dumbbells up, straightening your arms as much as possible. Stop when the dumbbells are about to touch at the top. Slowly return to the starting position.
- Seated Dumbbell Press. Again, since your movements are not limited by the barbell, you can lower your hands below your shoulders. This has a beneficial effect on the middle deltas, thanks to which you seem even wider. At the same time, when doing this exercise with a barbell, you are forced to keep your elbows in front of you, which causes more active work of the front deltoids than the middle ones. How to perform the exercise? Take a sit on the bench, make sure that your spine is snug against the back of the bench, in each hand, take a dumbbell. Keep dumbbells in direct grip at shoulder level (palms forward). Straighten your arms and push the dumbbells up above your head. Do not touch the dumbbells at the top point. Slowly lower dumbbells to their original positions.
- Dumbbell Shrugs. The range of movements in this exercise is limited to several inches. Moving up and down should be constant and controlled, do not make sharp jerks. Since you use dumbbells, ordinary grip allows you to keep your arms and shoulders in a more natural and safe position. How to perform the exercise? Stand up straight, take dumbbells in each hand, palms directed to the body. Contract the abs, straighten your back and shrug your shoulders up. Slowly move in the opposite direction, lowering the shoulders as low as possible. You might be interested in boulder shoulder workout.
- Seated One-Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extension. This excellent exercise is designed to work out the largest muscle in your arms – the tricep muscle. It does not matter whether you use a dumbbell, barbell or cable machine. How to execute the exercise? Sit straight, press your back to the back of the seat, feet on the floor. Take a dumbbell in your hand and lift it over your head. Moving only elbows, lower the dumbbell by the head, until the hand makes an angle of 90 degrees. Feel how muscles stretch, then go back to the starting position. Make the needed number of repetitions and repeat with the other arm. Read more on killer tricep mass workouts for men.
- Alternating Dumbbell Curl. Unlike barbell bicep curl, alternating dumbbell curl allow you to rotate the forearm outward at the top point. Start with a neutral grip, then slowly turn your wrist as the dumbbell is raised. As assumed, this rotational movement will improve muscle growth. How to perform the exercise? Stand up straight, take dumbbells in each hand. Keep your back straight, your elbows close to the body, bend one arm, turning your wrist. Contract the biceps at the top point, then lower your arm. Repeat with the other arm.
You can perform total body workout using the exercises above and the exercises below. Or you can make separate day workouts for each body part.
If you want quick results, you can use anabolic steroids, such as testosterone enanthate, Winstrol, and Trenbolone. But you should know that the use of steroids is associated with some risks such as cardiovascular diseases and sex addiction.
Lower Body Dumbbell Workout – List of Exercises
Browse through the various dumbbell exercises for the lower body (leg muscles) below:
- Dumbbell Squat.
- Reverse Lunge.
- Stationary Lunges.
- Side Lunges.
- Dumbbell Swing Through.
- Stiff Legged Deadlift.
- Toe Raise.
- One Legged Toe Raise.
This lower body dumbbell workout may be performed 1-2 times a week.
Read more about the leg muscles workout in our article named best leg toning free weight workouts for men and women at home.