When do they Appoint Cortisol Test?
In most cases doctors refer for tests to indicate the state of the suprarenal capsule and the pituitary gland of a patient. It’s known that any Cortisol level aberration should be cured; otherwise it may lead to grave health concerns. Besides, Cortisol test is appointed in case of the following signs:
– Precocious puberty;
– Muscles weakness;
– Sharp weight loss or weight gain at the current amount of food;
– When a grown-up patients has problems with acne;
– Linear atrophy;
– Elevated blood pressure;
– Impaired kidney function;
– Thyroid disorders;
– Loss of a cycle and male pattern of hair distribution in women;
– Polycystic ovary syndrome;
– Abiding concern and stress;
– Cushing disease;
– Addison disease.
Cortisol Test: Undergo your Tests Correctly!
In order to get adequate results of medical tests, patients should follow some rules while undergoing Cortisol tests.
Primarily, the rules depend on the kind of the Cortisol test:
1. Cortisol urinary test. The urine is collected during 24 hours starting with the second void urine. The next morning the first void urine is only taken. From the received samples only 3-4 fl oz are taken and brought to the laboratory for testing. Before collecting the samples for Cortisol urinary test, a patient shouldn’t:
– do sport;
– take oral contraceptives;
– take thiazide-type diuretics like lozol and Thalitone;
– drink a lot of tea, coffee and alcohol;
– smoke a lot;
– take amphetamine and methamphetamine;
– drink grapefruit juice.
2. Cortisol blood test. Blood counts are taken only in the morning hours (from 7 am till 9 am). Men patients can submit to a blood test on any day they want. But all the women of reproductive age should consult a doctor to indicate the appropriate days for Cortisol test. Preparations for this test are similar to preparations before urinary one:
– It’s banned to drink alcohol 1 day before the test;
– It’s better to avoid situations of stress 1-2 days before the test;
– It’s necessary to discontinue the use of any hormonal drugs not less than 14 days before testing. Thus, taking Mesterolone, hormonal androgenic medicine, change Cortisol level and the test results will be unreal;
– It’s necessary to refuse food for 8 hours. It’s allowed just to drink flat water;
– It’s needed to refuse physical activities and sexual encounters for nearly 3 days before the test.
Purpose of Cortisol Stimulation Test
Taking into account the number of required conditions for real test results, most physicians assign ACTH-stimulated Cortisol test. The procedure of this test includes the following stages:
– taking a blood from a vein to indicate a Cortisol level;
– taking an injection of synthetic adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) into a vein or a muscle;
– the next blood test is taken in half an hour to measure Cortisol level once more and to compare it with the first one.
It’s a short variant of Cortisol stimulation test. The long variant of the test includes a series of blood tests after the ACTH injection within 24 hours. Both tests are used to investigate the respond of the suprarenal capsule to ACTH injections. It helps to indicate such diseases as Addison’s disease, different infections and cancer.
Scoring of Cortisol Test Results
After specialists receive the results of a laboratory examination, they can see a clear aspect of whether the level of Cortisol is lowered, elevated or normal.
If any deviation is found, immediate treatment will follow:
– Elevated Cortisol level is a sign of Cushing’s syndrome, obesity, ACTH tumors, excess thyroid hyperthyroidism, high level of stress.
– Lowered level of Cortisol is a sign of Addison’s disease, hypopituitarism when the activity of pituitary gland decreased, low thyroid.
Increased Cortisol level is considered to be normal when a woman is pregnant. As a rule, Cortisol level of expecting mothers goes up 5 times; in all other cases, such indicators are a sign of serious diseases.
What Cortisol Blocker to Choose?
Most people know that there are a great amount of methods to settle nerves and quit stressing. In fact, all these methods are natural blockers of Cortisol, as they reduce the level of this stress hormone in the blood. Among them are:
– Doing sport;
– Positive emotions and laughing;
– Enough downtime;
– Enough night sleep;
– Eating food rich in vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acid (salmon, bonito, linseed and gingili oil, walnuts, etc.
However, lots of people have such life situations when it’s practically impossible to recover Cortisol level. In such cases, the necessity arises for medicinal products. Cortisol blockers are a large group of pills and supplements, which are aimed to block the release of the hormone. In fact, most sportsmen and bodybuilders take one or another anabolic steroid pills intentionally to gain weight and increase muscle definition. Similar solutions can have a negative impact on the whole health state, that’s why the following information is only for information purpose.
Thus, to manage Cortisol level such medicinal drugs are used as:
– Corticosteroid blockers. These are very strong medicines, which affect suprarenal cortex diminishing the production of glucocorticoids including Cortisol;
– Anabolic steroids. They’re aimed to increase the level of testosterone in women and men. Their action is based on the boosting testosterone level, which decreases the Cortisol secretion;
– Herbal medicinal products. Medications with an essence of licorice and Eurycoma longifolia are rather effective for high Cortisol decrease.
Any Cortisol blocker shouldn’t be taken without specialized medical consultation because the result may be unpredictable and rather unwanted:
– Only test results may indicate excess Cortisol;
– Every medication has a number of contraindications and after-effects, which can be dangerous for certain patients. For instance, all medical preparations for low testosterone including all types of steroids are contraindicative for patients with prostatic adenoma and inflammation of the genitals;
– Self-treatment may result in hormonal imbalance, which poorly responds to treatment.
In the context of effectiveness and safety, Winstrol is number one for most sportsmen and doctors. In addition to the fact that it mildly reduces the level of glucocorticoids, it’s also used for the treatment of osteoporosis, obesity, bone fracture, diseases of muscle tissue and burns of varying severity.
Cortisol Manager, Halodrol: Supplements for High Cortisol
Except for all the methods of Cortisol level normalization listed above, there is one more one which is rather popular because of its effectiveness and mild influence on the organism. Now we’re speaking about nutritional supplements. There is a wide choice of supplements with different action on the organism, but all are quite effective for low or high Cortisol level:
– Phosphatidylserine (PS) nutrients. These supplements are aimed to recover receptors in the hypothalamus, which are responsible for correction of high and low Cortisol levels.
– Adaptogens (ginseng Adreno-Build, Cortisol manager, etc.). They’re the category of herbal preparations, which enhance the nourishing and endurance of the suprarenal capsule. Usually, they’re taken one pill or capsule a day. According to manager reviews, it’s better not to take this preparation before driving and in case of chronic insomnia; but it’s highly effective for decompression.
– DHEA supplements. They don’t recover Cortisol level but decrease the symptoms of the increased Cortisol.
– Steroid supplements (Halodrol, Viraloid, etc). It’s a group of preparations which have the similar action as anabolic steroids have, but they’re produced in the form of nutritional supplements.