BCAAs are scientifically proven sports supplements that may be used by both sexes. Are gender differences exist in the terms of the use of BCAA by males and females? What are the best BCAA for women & men?
BCAA Benefits and Role in the Human Body
BCAA belong to the group of essential amino acids, i.e. they can be obtained only with protein products or specialized supplements, the body is not able to synthesize these amino acids independently.
The use of supplements with BCAA immediately before and after training plays a crucial role in preventing the destruction and repair of muscles. Studies have shown that L-leucine has the highest anabolic effect among essential amino acids. It is responsible for the activation of protein synthesis in the body and, consequently, for muscle growth. There are also other BCAA benefits, such as improvement of fat burning and increase in energy levels.
BCAA Use – Gender Differences
There is a stereotype in sports that BCAAs are exclusively male sports nutrition. Partly this situation is caused by the behavior of companies producing amino acids, which have always been focused on a large group of male consumers. However, BCAA for women involved in sports is also very useful.
There are certain features of BCAA usage by girls and women who are associated with the hormonal background of female bodies. Essential amino acids are perhaps even more necessary for a woman’s body than for a man’s one, since they are important to maintain a normal level of leucine and isoleucine (two amino acids with branched chains) in the blood for a complete synthesis of female sex hormones, such as estrogen. (You might be interested in estradiol vs estrogen differences.) This fact determines not only the possibility, but also the need to take amino acids for women’s health while playing sports.
It is not always possible to eat a full meal before and after training. Thus, periodic supplementation intended for maintaining a reserve of BCAA in the body can greatly increase the nutritional value of the diet. However, in general, there are no significant differences in the use of amino acid supplements by women and men. Some differences may be in dosages. The average dosages are approximately the following:
- Moderately or hardly trained women with 50-65 kg of weight – 5-7 grams of BCAA.
- Moderately or hardly trained men with 70-85 kg of weight, hardly trained women with a large training volume – 7-12 grams of BCAA.
- Moderately or hardly trained men with 90+ kg of weight, practicing a large training volume – 12-20 grams of BCAA.
Best BCAA for Women – the List of Products
For the development of good muscles, it is necessary to supply your body with additional essential elements, especially due to the fact that modern diets may not contain the needed amount of healthy nutrients. This especially applies to girls / women whose bodies are not originally predisposed to build muscle, so to achieve significant physical performance, they should use proper sports nutrition. Essential amino acids for women play a crucial role in building muscle tissues and their metabolism.
So, BCAA for girls and women provide the following useful effects:
- better growth of muscle fibers;
- acceleration of tissue regeneration;
- maintenance of glucose homeostasis;
- activation of protein synthesis;
- maintenance of nitrogen balance;
- facilitating the absorption of other protein amino acids;
- stimulation of leptin production and dulling of hunger, which helps to lose weight and improve metabolism;
- inhibition of catabolism.
Here are some popular BCAA supplements for women:
- BCAA 4000 Extreme Shot. This is a complex of amino acids with branched chains (L-leucine, L-isoleucine and L-valine in the ratio 2: 1: 1), which is produced by the Polish company Olimp Sport Nutrition. The product is supplied with a system for increasing the absorption of amino acids NITROLOADER SystemTM and is available in innovative liquid form. It prevents catabolic states inside the muscle tissue, and also has an anabolic effect. The action of the product is enhanced by a powerful dosage of glutamine. BCAA 4000 Extreme Shot features the maximum ease of use: a small ampoule is convenient to be taken with you. You can use the product anytime and anywhere and you don’t have to swallow numerous caps or tabs. The supplement has pharmaceutical quality and has a remarkable taste that does not leave feelings of thirst or dryness in the mouth. How to use these BCAAs? Take 1 ampoule of the product (60 milliliters) 1-2 times a day – before breakfast and before training sessions. Shake well before use.
- KFD Nutrition Premium ???? Instant Plus. This is a powerful mix of BCAA aminos in an instantly dissolving form. Premium BCAAs are enriched with citrulline. This substance accelerates recovery after exercise, helps fight fatigue and muscle pain. It also promotes the formation of nitric oxide, dilates blood vessels and improves blood flow, thereby improving muscle pump and absorption of nutrients. The regular use of the BCAA complex enhances the synthesis of muscle protein and allows faster recovery after training. BCAA instant plus is produced by Polish corporation KFD Nutrition, which relies on 100% openness of its work and transparency of its products’ content. The product has no preservatives and other useless fillers, such as essential amino acids and taurine. Why is this product good for women? It has a pleasant taste, so the gentle sex will like it. How to use this supplement? Mix one 10-gram portion of BCAA (2 serving spoons) with 150-200 milliliters of water and stir or shake well. Use according to your personal needs, but no more than three times a day, for example, before and after training and / or after breakfast. Drink the BCAA beverage directly after preparation.
- VPLab BCAA Ultra Pure. This is an effective BCAA supplement in the capsuled form. In this supplement, leucine, isoleucine and valine are presented in a classical ratio (2:1:1). Thanks to these capsules, you can improve athletic endurance, support muscles in tonus, and increase the overall performance of the body. How to use these capsules? Use 4 capsules (one serving) 30-60 minutes before training and 30 minutes after training.
What Are the Best BCAA for Men?
The regular use of athletic supplements with BCAA of is an indispensable element in the training of male athletes who need to have an optimal physical form. The addition of vitamins with BCAA in the daily diet is recommended to adherents of a healthy lifestyle, who eat the proper nutrition and work on creating a developed musculature.
Amino acids are safe for male sexual health (and may even be healthy for it) if the man takes them in strict accordance with the instructions, has a sufficient level of physical activity and adheres to the principles of a proper / balanced diet.
Here are some of the best BCAA for men:
- Ronnie Coleman Amino Tone. This is an excellent product from the eight-time Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman. Amino Tone helps athletes increase lean muscle mass, energy potential and fat burning. Signature Series does not cease to amaze with its new developments. First of all, this amino acid complex enriched with leucine, isoleucine and valine in an ideal ratio of 2: 1: 1 also contains taurine, which normalizes the functioning of the cardiovascular system, and alanine, which normalizes blood sugar. Amino Tone contains a complex for body hydration, that is, it is enriched with electrolytes, which must be replenished during hard training to avoid dehydration. Thanks to raspberry ketones, choline, forskolin, and inositol in the composition of the supplement, the body’s metabolism is accelerated and fatty acids are destroyed. How to use it? On training days, it is recommended to mix one scoop with water and use throughout your workout. On non-workout days, it is recommended to consume a ready-made drink throughout the day or on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Universal Nutrition BCAA 2000. It is a sports supplement designed to increase stamina and strength. The product is involved in anabolic reactions, and also plays an important role in the release of insulin, which prevents the splitting of the protein. In addition, it saturates the body with B6, B2 and C vitamins, which promote the absorption of amino acids. This sports supplement was developed specifically for athletes who train hard in a gym. Taking it, an athlete receives an additional source of energy helping to perform long and debilitating exercises. Additionally, the supplement improve muscle recovery after workouts. How to use it? The recommended daily dose is 4 capsules. To achieve best results, the supplement in the amount of two capsules should be taken one hour before training. The remaining two capsules are recommended to be used within 30 minutes after training.
- Ostrovit BCAA 2-1-1 1000. This is a complex of BCAA amino acids in the convenient form of tablets. The product is produced by Ostrovit company (Poland) in accordance with the requirements for the quality of food products adopted in the EU. How to use this product? On training days, consume 2 servings of BCAA per day: the first one – immediately after sleep in the morning or before training, and the second one – after training. On resting days, take only one serving immediately after awakening.
- Weider BCAA + Glutamine. The combination of essential amino acids and glutamine is the best way to maintain good physique. In muscles, protein synthesis and regenerative processes are constantly occurring. Each athlete knows how important amino acids are, as many of them are not synthesized in the human body. BCAA + Glutamine is an excellent assistant in the fight against catabolism. Glutamine is also needed by our bodies, because with increasing physical exertion, its quantity in muscles decreases. This can affect the work of the immune system. The product not only supports muscles, but also cares about the health of the athlete, because intense loads can lead to the immunity deterioration. How to use this product? Take 6 capsules of the supp per day. Also, take 3 capsules after training to quickly restore your muscles.
3 Tips on How to Take BCAA
There are some useful tips on how to take BCAA wisely:
- To maximize fat burning, take 5 grams of BCAAs and 1-2 g of L-carnitine 30 min before doing cardio.
- Powder is best during and after training. Powder forms tend to have a more immediate action, which is good in decreasing muscle soreness during / after physical exercises.
- You may also use BCAA supps before bed or on an empty stomach in the morning to increase the quantity of essential aminos in your body. This will provide a powerful anticatabolic action similar to PCT steroids, which are used to prevent rollback phenomenon after an anabolic steroid cycle.