Several years ago, training of the core was associated with exercises for the rectus abdominis. This muscle represents the deepest muscle layer of the abdominal wall. It is designed to hold in place the internal organs, gives the waist a slender appearance and is responsible for stabilizing the lumbar region. However, now such a type of training is not intended on the rectus abdominis only. It should also load other core muscles and gluteus muscles (read more on butt workouts here).
Introduction to the Core Workout
The purpose of the workout presented below is to develop muscle endurance that is, you should do relatively long-term exercises with additional load or without weights.
You should know that an additional load is a cornerstone of successful core workout. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to get well-developed core muscles without extra load. Some people can develop a perfect core using bodyweight exercises only, but they are generally an exception, not the rule.
Beginner Core Workout – How to Perform Exercises Properly?
Here are some tips for a beginner core workout. The core workout is a strengthening of a whole complex of stabilizer muscles (primarily the transverse abdominal muscle) that perform micro-movements during exercise, where you should constantly maneuver and maintain balance. It is very important to follow the technique of doing the exercises, this will allow you to avoid injuries and show progress according to your plan. You probably know that you should not forget about warm-ups and cooldowns. You should do these light exercises regardless of your level of physical preparation. Even if you are a well-trained person, you are not shielded from potential injuries. Do not hurry, as this can lead to serious problems. As the saying goes: “Haste makes waste, and waste makes want, and want makes strife between the goodman and his wife.” In addition, do not hurry to use anabolic steroids, such as testosterone propionate and Anadrol. These drugs may lead to severe side effects of steroids.
Why Should You Do Home or Gym Core Workout?
A strong muscular corset at the waist is the key to maintaining intra-abdominal pressure at the required level, which helps in fixing the spinal column. It also facilitates the outflow of venous blood from the internal organs and improves overall strength of a person. It should be noted that the gym core workout is considered more effective, but you can effectively train that group of muscles at home. Exercises for core workouts at home are provided below.
Strengthening the muscles of the core allows you to maintain a beautiful posture and a healthy spine. Additionally, doing these exercises you will improve coordination of movements and reduce the likelihood of injury. (You might be interested in corticosteroids, which are steroid injections helping to fight back pain).
Core Workouts at Home – Popular Exercises
Due to exercises where it is necessary to perform movements in uncomfortable and unstable positions, you can achieve impressive results in a short time, significantly reduce the waist circumference and bring the abdominal muscles into an excellent shape.
1. Side Plank. You know, the plank is a very popular exercise. It gives perfect load on all muscles of the core. This exercises has a variation called side plank. Starting position is as follows. Lie on your side, putting your feet together, resting your forearm on the floor, so that the elbow is directly under the shoulder joint. The other arm should be bent and rested against the side or shoulder of the supporting arm. The order of performing is as follows: raise the pelvis so that the shoulders, the central body, and legs form a straight line. Fix yourself at the top point, contracting the Abs and buttocks. (You might be interested in Abs workouts). Stay at the top position for 20-30 seconds, and then repeat for the other side. This exercise should be performed both on the left side and on the right side.
2. The Plank (with Arms Raising). This exercise is a “must have” in each workout program. Its starting position is as follows. Lie on your belly. Place elbows and forearms on the floor, so that the elbows are strictly under the shoulders, with the elbow joint forming a right angle. How to perform this exercise? Lift the body so that it is parallel to the floor, leaning on the forearms, fists and toes. Raise the left arm forward and upward, fix this position for 2 seconds and return to the starting position. Do the same for the right arm. This is considered on repetition. The forearms should be perpendicular to the shoulders, elbows should be under the shoulder joints. It is very important that the waist does not bend during performing this exercise. The muscles of the abs and buttocks should be in constant tension. Also, you have to suck in the gut. This ensures the correct position of the pelvis, pressing the coccyx inwards and holding the body parallel to the floor. In case of breaking the technique of execution, stop, rest for a few minutes, and repeat again. Raise one hand for 5 seconds, lower it, then raise the second for 5 seconds. This will be one repetition. Do 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. But you should know, that the plank is not a “panacea” for your physique. There are people, who can stay in plank for 5-10 minutes, despite this, they have underdeveloped core. What does it mean? It means, you should also do other core exercises, which will be described below.
3. Alternate Leg Lowering. Lay down on the back, raise our legs straight in front of you. Pressing tightly the waist to the floor, slowly lower your left foot into the bottom, without touching the floor. It should be 2 to 3 inches above the floor. Return it to its original position. Do the same with the other leg. While doing the exercise, keep the toe taut at yourself, and start the movement from the heel. It is recommended to perform 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions
4. Single Leg Bridge Exercise. Your starting position is as follows. Lie on your back. Put your feet on the floor, shoulder width close to the buttocks. Your arms should be along the body, on the floor, or behind the head. How to perform the exercise? Raise the hips as high as possible, while the loin should always remain in a straight position (not bend). Keep the body and buttocks in tension, contracting the muscles of these body parts. Begin by starting with simple pelvis lifts, gradually increasing the holding the body at the top point. Then lift one leg and straighten it in the knee, so that the straightened leg and body form a straight line.
Single leg bridge is the easiest exercise for the muscles of the core, which allows you to learn to feel the muscular tension in the central part of the body. During its execution, a burning sensation in the gluteal muscles should occur. If the muscles of the thighs begin to cramp, then you need to rest and stretch. Perform 3 sets of 10 repetitions per one leg.
5. Side Oblique Crunch. Your starting position should be as follows. Lie on your side, putting your feet together, resting your forearm on the floor, so that the elbow is directly under the shoulder joint. The other arm should be straight and look up. Here is how to perform the exercise. Raise the pelvis so that the shoulders, the central body and legs form a straight line. Fix yourself in this position, c the abdominal muscles and the gluteus ones. Make a crunch at the top of the torso, pointing the upper arm under the other arm. Delay at the extreme point of the movement for 20-30 seconds, and then repeat for the other side. Side crunch should be performed both on the left side and on the right side. Perform 10 repetitions on each side, 3 sets.
In addition, you can try yoga core exercises, but this is a topic for a separate article. By the way, you might be interested in our article about bodybuilding gym machine workout program.
Sample Core Workout for Women
Here is a sample core workout for women:
- Double Leg Lifts. Complete 10 to 15 reps.
- Hip Dips. Complete 10 to 15 reps.
- V Crunch. Complete 15 reps.
- Alternating Two-Point Plank. Complete 8 to 10 reps.
Sample Core Workout for Men
Here is a sample core workout for men:
- Cable Crunch. Complete 3 sets, 12-15 reps;
- Barbell Side Bend. Complete 3 sets, 12 reps;
- Crunches. Complete 3 sets, 12 reps;
- Reverse Crunch. Complete 3 sets, 12-15 reps.