Steroids are hormones and meds based on synthetic variations of these hormones. In this article, we’ll tell you about types of steroids and types of anabolic steroids.
Types of Steroids: Corticosteroids
The first group of steroids is corticosteroids. As part of the regulatory endocrine system, they are produced by the adrenal cortex. In the body, corticosteroids act as regulators of metabolism being responsible for the metabolism of main nutrients. Also, the function of corticosteroids is to provide an adequate response of the body to stressful situations, viruses, bacteria, and inflammation. Esculapians use artificial analogues of substances of the corticosteroid group. They are mainly used for skin conditions, inflammatory diseases, lung diseases, autoimmune processes (psoriasis, eczema, asthma, ichthyosis, rosacea, juvenile plantar dermatosis, etc). In addition, clinicians use them for organ transplantation to prevent rejection. There are a few different corticosteroids in the human body. These are glucocorticoids & mineralocorticoids:
1) The main glucocorticoids synthesized in the human body are hydrocortisone and cortisone. Zona fasciculata in the adrenal cortex produces glucocorticoid substances.
2) The main mineralocorticoid is aldosterone. It is produced by zona glomerulosa in the adrenal cortex.
There are many drugs on the market that mimic the effect of these natural substances. Chemists invented them in the 1930s. The first clinical effect of a corticosteroid-like substance (an extract of animal adrenocortical tissue) was demonstrated in 1930. These drugs are legal steroids if you buy them by prescription. For instance, fludrocortisone (which is mostly a mineralocorticoid) is available under the following brand names:
- Florinef (produced by Bristol-Myers Squibb, Lebanon);
- Lonikan (by Argentinian-based Elea);
- Cortineff (Polfa Pabianice, Latvia);
- Dicortineff, which is a fixed-dose combination that includes fludrocortisone, neomycin, and gramicidin (Polfa Warszawa, Poland);
- Fludrocortisonacetaat CF (Centrafarm, Netherlands);
- Neoproct, which is a combo drug including fludrocortisone & lidocaine (Bayer, Finland);
- Parocitin, which is also a combo medication with fludrocortisone, lidocaine, and Polymixin B antibiotic (Adelco, the Hellenic Republic);
- Astonin (Kemofarmacija, the Republic of Slovenia).
There are 22 brand names of this drug. Other corticoid meds are available under hundreds of names.
Estrogens & Progesterone: Different Types
The second group of steroids is estrogens (oestrogens). Estrogens are female sex hormones, however, they are also contained in the male organism. They are extremely crucial in the development of the woman‘s body. Estrogens are responsible for the formation of female genitals and a woman-like constitution. Under the influence of these hormones, the uterine cavity is prepared for implantation of the fetal egg. In the body of a woman, estrogens are produced from the date of puberty to the menopause. According to Patel S., Homaei A., Raju A.B., and Meher B.R. (2018), both hyper and hypo oestrogen levels may be harmful for the body. Due to this, the scientists called this hormone “the necessary evil” and described ways to tape it. They noted that oestrogen rate correction isn’t a trivial task, which requires complex and measured approach (disciplined lifestyle, wise dietary modifications, selective chemical usage, and so on).
How many types of estrogen are there? In humans, there are three types of estrogens: estradiol, estriol and estrone. They are usually available as injectable steroids and oral steroids.
Meds containing estrogens (such as Vivelle, Vagifem, and Premarin) are used to maintain a healthy balance of a woman’s hormones. They are used to prevent complications during menopause, when a woman’s body is not able to produce the normal amount of hormones. The need for the use of these meds occurs in case of certain forms of cancer like breast cancer.
Another steroid is progesterone that is also called a pregnancy hormone. If it is too low, it is bad as it can lead to an abortion. And if it’s too high, it’s not good either. The presence of progesterone is necessary for the female body to make conception possible. Progesterone is produced by the yellow body: it’s formed in ovaries after the maturation of the egg. In the event that the conception has occurred, the yellow body produces progesterone for another 15-month period. Then placenta performs this task. Without this hormone, the uterus cannot attach a fetal egg to it, since it creates favorable conditions for attaching the egg to the uterine wall. Meds with progesterone are used for the treatment of such diseases as amenorrhea (absence of menstruation), anovulatory uterine bleeding (menstrual cycle, without egg releasing from the ovary), infertility, etc.
Progesterone brand names include:
Types of Anabolic Steroids
There is a huge number of types of anabolic steroids that are used for bodybuilding. These are pharmacological substances that mimic the effects of two male sex hormones, T-hormone and DHT. There are also products that imitate the effects of some other male steroids (such as androstenediol), but healthcare experts prescribe them exceptionally rarely. There are many names of these remedies, but they are produced on the basis of approximately 30 pharmacological substances. Among them there are:
1) Nandrolone (Deca, Hybolin, Hydeca) – a drug that has an anabolic activity of 150% of testosterone and moderate androgenic activity.
2) Mesterolone (Mestilon, Provironum, Progynon) — a hormonal drug which has moderate androgenic activity and significantly enhances erectile function.
3) Andriol (Nebido, Androxon, Panteston, Aveed) — a testosterone medicament in tabs.
4) Primobolan— a drug with 88% anabolic activity of testosterone.
If they offer you to buy such drugs without a prescription, then these are illegal steroids (“under-the-table”). Spin out your health. If you see that your friend uses non-legal meds (having no knowledge in this area), save his bacon: talk him out of it.